cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

madraddavis
Newcomer

Bootcamp graphics driver is outdated

Today I installed Bootcamp onto my computer and it now has windows. I opened AMD Catalyst Control center, check for updates. It says that I'm running version 15.201.2001 and there is an available version 16.40.2311 available. When I click download now nothing happens. When I go to the download page I have no idea what version to get. When I downloaded the auto detect software it says I'm good and wont help me. I need this update to play this game and I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

0 Likes
8 Replies
madraddavis
Newcomer

Also I forgot to mention I have the AMD Radeon R9 M395, when I go the menu and select that driver absolutely no download option appears for any drivers

0 Likes

NOTE: 

This driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.

AMD Radeon™ R9 M395 Drivers & Support | AMD 

0 Likes

I spent 3 hours with Apple AND Microsoft and both said to take it up with you guys since its your software that won’t update...

0 Likes

Hard to believe Apple told you that. I have been a Mac user since their inception and have been using bootcamp since it's inception. All drivers for bootcamp are and have always been supplied by Apple. Windows does not boot native on Macs all drivers are modified by Apple to work within bootcamp. All current drivers are available to Apple for them to supply to their bootcamp customers as they are to every oem. The fact that Apple doesn't care about Windows users on their platform is nothing new. It is however their proprietary platform and AMD has no control over what Apple updates or releases. AMD does provide links to some bootcamp drivers but they actually are the same as the ones on Apples site and are the Apple modified and controlled drivers. 

If you would like to complain to AMD you are certainly welcome to do that. These forums are USER TO USER forums only. Mostly Windows users. AMD driver development I have never seen in these forums. 

The only avenue AMD gives to dialogue with them are their Online Service Request | AMD 

I don't know what Mac you have and that is what you need to know to pick your driver. If you are on a 2012 or older mac the driver you have is likely the newest available official driver.  This page has the available bootcamp drivers through AMD, they are the same drivers to my knowledge however that come with bootcamp. 

Apple Boot Camp Software Graphics Drivers | AMD 

You might try the link goodplay gave. That guy was frustrated too with Apple not updating the drivers and he puts together unofficial builds of newer drivers. Use at your own risk. I can say I have used them and they have worked for me. Just know it's not an official Apple driver. 

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply. Yes apple told me to contact Microsoft. Microsoft said to contact Apple. I tried the website listed below and get an error everytime I try to install. Just gonna give up and uninstall Bootcamp.

0 Likes

So Apple installed AMD graphics cards onto their machines even though the company will never allow the driver to be updated? Seems incredibly stupid. So I'm supposed to use an outdated driver from 2015 and never be able to update it? POINTLESS.

0 Likes

Thats Apple. You use the computer the way they want you too!  Honestly they don't update the graphics much better on the Mac side either. You may get some kind of update once a year with the OS upgrade. Usually after a machine is out about 3 years, the updates do nothing more. Apple has a history of removing more graphics capability than it adds. Recently they dumped open source graphics in favor of their proprietary api that basically nobody but them is ever going to support. But people keep buying into their ecosystem. Well about 2.5% of computer users with deep pockets. 

I agree it sucks they don't have more updates. I wish they did. While I use them at work every day. I have an older 2007 imac at home. I would not buy one today. They have become even more closed off, the machines today IMHO are way overpriced for what they are. Windows 10 years ago had things to learn from Apple, and guess what they did. Windows 10 not only narrowed the innovation gap it surpassed Apple in a great many ways. Apple loves selling to those willing to pay for form over function. They survive on a reputation that is a shadow of what it was. 

Enjoy your mac as long as it lasts. Mine is no longer supported by the last couple of OS X upgrades. Funny though is that while I may have to stick to some old drivers it does run the very latest Windows!

Maybe try https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes