cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cloudy
Journeyman III

GPU temperature sensor frozen

Have seen that mine is not an uncommon problem.

THE CARD: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro, purchased in Nov. 2017.

THE PROBLEM: As is well known, this card keeps cold (fan=0) in normal internet/office use.

It only gets warm during games.

At times, during a game, the card internal temperature sensor stops working (mostly freezing at 20ºC): 

accordingly, the fans also stop and the card starts heating.

Luckily I have a separate fan controller with a sensor touching one of the card's cooling pipes.

The first time was back in November (card one year old) and I was a few minutes away from the PC: when I was back the fan controller alarm was on and the temperature had reached 103ºC!

I immediately stopped the game, the card cooled down and did not suffer any damage.

THE MITIGATION: My temporary solution is to set via TriXX the fan at a fixed speed (25% is enough for my games).

However, this is noisy and not good for the long-term health of the fans: this card is not meant to be used this way.

In most cases, after the card cools down, with a PC restart its temperature sensor works fine again, and I can with TriXX reset the fan to either Automatic or Custom.

I am not happy.

FREQUENCY.  It may not happen again for weeks, even when gaming, and suddenly it happens again, perhaps twice or more per week. 

CAUSE. The problem is surely hardware, not software-related. I tried re-installing, logging-out-in from Windows, Device Manager, nothing works.

I have also used GPU-Z and the GPU Meter sidebar: when the card sensor freezes, both report a constant 20º temperature reading.

I suspect that this fault is in the electronics and there is nothing to do except buying a new one.

QUESTION: However, I am now going to open my tower case for cleaning.

Is there anything I could do, such as cleaning the circuitry where the sensor is?

I am a retired PC technician so I am at ease with these things.

Thanks.

Claudio

(formerly Seattle PC Service, Ireland, now in Italy)

0 Likes
3 Replies

Contact Sapphire support about repair/replacement under warranty ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks good play! Not that easy:

- guaranteed for 1 year only: too late!

- I would have to FIRST to buy a replacement, THEN send the piece back for RMA.

- With this being a very random failure, occurring sometimes three days on a row, then fine for two months (with no changes whatsoever to my PC or the way I use it), I run the risk of the RMA being rejected on the grounds that the card works perfectly!

- I have now written to the card makers, Sapphire, asking for a suggestion.

- In the meantime I will open the case, remove the card, clean the contacts, reinsert it.

But this assumes that a contact is faulty, which is VERY unlikely (it would fail systematically under some conditions).

Best

Clau

0 Likes

From my experience with other Users concerning Sapphire Warranty, especially in Europe, you need to send the card from where you purchased it to be RMA. The Retailer is the one that decides whether the card needs to be replaced or reimbursed with a Pro-Rated cash reimbursement for your card if still under Warranty by Sapphire. 

From Sapphire Warranty: Request Rejected 

From AMAZON.com found this Sapphire Warranty PDF that states all Sapphire GPUs have a two (2) year Warranty: https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11265-01-20G-Radeon-Backplate-Graphics/dp/B071QX74F9 

Note: Attached the Sapphire Warranty PDF from Amazon.com to this post.

0 Likes