bobe

Black screen after installing new GPU drivers

Discussion created by bobe on Feb 27, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2019 by bobe
I am having problems with my AMD 7870 GPU.  I updated the drivers yesterday, tested a game for a few minutes, and all seemed fine.  Shortly thereafter (before the screensaver came on) my screen did some strange things, eventually turned all blue (no text) and then the screen was black and the light on my monitor turned yellow (acting liking my PC was off or asleep).  When I tried to change inputs it said there was no DVI signal.  I did a hard shutdown and when the PC came back on, the screen was still black, light monitor still was a consistent yellow, and still said no DVI signal.  The PC sounded like it was running fine.  I swapped the DVI out for a HDMI and then the monitor said no signal for HDMI.  I took out the GPU and plugged the DVI into my motherboard to use onboard graphics.  PC worked perfectly fine.  I assumed this definitely showed a drivers issue so I tried to uninstall the AMD drivers using the following steps:

I followed all steps exactly (except there were two optional Windows updates that failed when I tried to install them multiple times).  When I plugged the GPU back in, I still have the same problems (monitor light remains yellow).  I didn't install the new AMD drivers before putting the GPU back in, but shouldn't it work anyway?  I didn't have drivers installed when I built the PC and ran it for the first time.
I should also mention when I took the GPU out, after I unscrewed it and pulled gently, I heard a snap.  Laying on the motherboard were two small pieces of black plastic.  The GPU has been in the machine for 6 years.  Any idea what that came from or if it could cause new problems?  Doesn't look like it came from the GPU.  Motherboard maybe?  I suppose the drivers issue could be fixed and this is now what is causing the same black screen.  I do not have another PC to plug the GPU into.   
Any ideas or thoughts on what to try next?  I've never had an issue updating GPU drivers in the past.
System (don't laugh, it is 6 years old and still plays the game I like, haha):
Desktop
XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
Windows 7 64bit
Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.2.3 is the driver I updated to.  18.4.1 is the last one that worked.
ASUS montior, DVI connectoin
Motherboard: Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 ATX Intel (unsure on Bios Version)
Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
8GB RAM

Outcomes