cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gaffthehorse
Adept I

What is the future for Opencl CPU processing options on a system consisting of AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU

Currently I am using the AMD SDK 3.0 (which has been dropped by the AMD team) to provide Opencl headers for an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU on an Archlinux system with a Nvidia GTX1080 GPU.

The recommended solution to install AMDGPU-PRO is hardly a viable solution in this case..

Currently, the AMD SDK 3 still compiles and works, but at some point it won't, and as I am on Archlinux, this will be sooner rather than later.

9 Replies

A good AMD Forum to ask this question is here: OpenCL.

This is an Opencl question, but it's also a CPU question.

True, but Users (and AMD Moderators) that use OpenCl programming and Linux like those at OpenCL will know about the CPU's capabilities when it comes to OpenCL programming in either Linux or Windows environment. Plus they can tell you what is the best Linux AMD Driver you can use for your programming or GPU in Linux.

There isn't a driver currently.

Since AMD pulled the AMDapp-sdk, when the current version stops installing

properly, no opencl as Nvidia don't support Opencl on the CPU, and the only

way to get the AMD drivers seems to be AMDGPU-Pro, and I have no AMD GPU.

So this is an AMD CPU issue.

misterj
Big Boss

gaffthehorse, I suggest you ask on the Drivers and Software Forum or ask AMD directly at AMD Online Support.  This is a user forum for processors.  Most of us here (I) are users as you, not AMDers.  Enjoy, John.

correct this is a USER TO USER forum not AMD employees. We would love to help but none of us have access to the answers you need. Nobody is trying to send you down the road. You just are more likely to get answers elsewhere. I would also ask in the open cl forum. I would also ask in a forum dedicated to your linux distro. Those guys are typically pretty up on their knowledge. Most of us in this forum are AMD gamers or casual users.

The best thing to do is to actually ASK AMD AND YOU CAN DO THAT HERE: Online Service Request | AMD 

Best Wishes!

0 Likes

pokester, since you corrected me, I will correct you.  As I said, most here are users.  Occasionally an AMD employee will post but it is few and far between.  Certainly mostly USER TO USER.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Not sure what you think you are correcting. I wasn't correcting you, I was agreeing with you  and letting the OP know the AMD driver team won't know about your issue from here. The 2 AMD people here are Mods. They rarely get involved. Yes occasionally they try to help. Their ability to report to the driver team isn't much different that yours filling out the form that does go to the driver team. The bug report is the only avenue AMD gives you to open a dialogue with AMD. I was only agreeing with you and offering another link where the OP could engage with AMD directly.

Taken directly from the first sentence of the link in all the forum headers. "This is a user to user English language only Support Forum."  This is not an AMD employee driven support forum. I truly wish it was. 

pokester, you are absolutely correct!  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes