Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wddplayer
Journeyman III

Radeon Settings Won't Open

Relevant system specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

i7-8700k

Radeon VII (Problem occurred with my Vega64 as well)

For some reason, no matter what I try, I can not get the radeon settings application to open on my PC. This problem has persisted for me some time now but it didn't bother me much because I use OBS for recording and MSI Afterburner handled the overclocking and undervolting of my Vega64 just fine. However, I am unable to tweak any settings for the VII using afterburner leaving me to rely on the Wattman software I can't access.

I have been scouring the internet looking for solutions since I got my Radeon VII two days ago and have tried every single one I could find. I have ran DDU, made sure to do clean installations, got windows completely up to date. I have done this with versions 19.2.2  , 19.2.1 and 19.1.1 and I am fairly certain I had the same problem when I was using my V64 with 18.11.2. I did the clean installs of each version after running DDU each time and with both my VII and V64 but nothing has worked so far. When I check the Reliability History it shows "Radeon Settings: Host Application Stopped Working.

At this point the only thing I haven't tried is doing a fresh install of Windows 10, which isn't exactly an easy task in my current setup that lacks a dvd drive and I don't own windows on a USB. And I have seen other people attempt that with no success anyway. Any suggestions at all? I would really love to be able to get into the settings and play around with the Radeon VII. It's a real bummer only being able to plug it in and leave everything stock. (Especially that fan curve while I wait on an EK waterblock)

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

This sounds like a system issue and doing a fresh OS install may help fix the problem.

You can use the Windows Media Creation tool to create a bootable Windows 10 Installation on an USB stick.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

This sounds like a system issue and doing a fresh OS install may help fix the problem.

You can use the Windows Media Creation tool to create a bootable Windows 10 Installation on an USB stick.

0 Likes

This Tut. may be helpful for the windows install, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
wddplayer
Journeyman III

Reinstalling windows seems to have fixed it for now. Wish there had been a solution that didn't basically require a system wipe to fix it since it did work at some point. Lot of hassle just to be able to tweak GPU settings. I definitely prefer using MSI Afterburner so if there is a way to get that working with the Radeon VII, that would be great info. It is a lot less buggy and messy. 

0 Likes

You should read the post by msi-ab dev on guru3d forum.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes