I've been monitoring usage in general since obtaining a Radeon VII and found that the software is reporting very high amounts of VRAM usage. Whilst it's not an issue to use a lot of it as the card has 16GB I'm also noticing that only some of it is being freed up when a game session is closed. For instance I have attached a screenshot that shows my usage at 29GB which is approaching 200% of the size of the framebuffer. It's also noteworthy that after closing the game it was still around 20GB and it only took launching the game and closing it 6 times to achieve this. Is this an issue with the software reporting the usage or the actual usage itself? The game I tested was Apex Legends as it is a VRAM hog but I have also observed the same behaviour with Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
32GB G.Skill Trident Z memory at 3200Mhz
Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Waterforce 1080ti (it's part of the custom loop but not in use)
Samsung 950 Pro 500GB (OS drive)
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
WD Black 2TB
HGST Deskstar 6TB
WD Red 10TB
I should also mention that I'm using Windows 10 64 version 1803 and I'm using the latest Radeon driver 19.2.2. I've wiped all of my drivers using DDU which also includes the old Nvidia drivers and I've also tried wiping the 19.2.2 drivers again to no avail.
Update: So apparently MSI Afterburner shows a different VRAM usage and seems to show the framebuffer emptying after a game session is closed. This suggests that either the Radeon Performance Monitor is broken or just not working properly for Radeon VII.