cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

zcool99
Journeyman III

GPU Running Really Hot

I have just bought a SAPHIRE NITRO R9 390 and have had some problems with it. even at idle with no overclocking, both side panels off, the front panel off, and a 24" fan on high pointing straight at it. the idle temp is still at 50C and when I boot up Fortnite, Apex Legends, or CS:GO those temps go up to 100C! This causes the game to visuals to freeze but the audio to stay fine. The only way for me to fix this is to do a hard restart with the power button on the case. I will also get a message saying that WattMan settings have been reset due to unexpected system failure. I have not touched a single setting in WattMan.

SYSTEM:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x overclocked to 3.9 GHz

MDB: ASRock B450 Pro4

RAM: Geil Super Lube 2x4GB overclocked to 2666 MHz

PSU: EVGA 650w G2 80+ Gold

GPU: SAPHIRE NITRO R9 390 not overclocked Previously an NVIDIA 1050 ti that had no problems

Case: Cooler Master MB520 RGB

0 Likes
2 Replies

Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all the nVidia software before you installed the 390? I imagine you bought that card used given its age, are you sure it hasn't been modified for cryptocurrency mining and is fully functional?

0 Likes
m70b1jr
Adept I

Replaced the thermal paste. Very easy step. Don't worry about the warranty void sticker, they're illegal in the US and Canada (As in illegal to void someone's warranty by removing the sticker)

0 Likes