cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jewelsp3
Journeyman III

Win 10 instantly wakes from hibernation under AMD Balanced Power plan after updating chipset driver, why?

So I've got a three month old machine running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and I've just started getting this bug - I press the sleep or power button, both of which are set to make my machine hibernate, displays go off, fans ramp up for a second as usual when preparing to hibernate, then pc goes off for 0.8 of a second then boots up again, perfectly resuming where it was but not going off unless I do a proper shut down, event viewer just has wake source unknown.

I'm running a Ryzen 7 1800x on a Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard, problem only started after updating to the 18.10.20.02 chipset driver, obviously the easy answer was just to switch back to Windows own balanced power plan which worked but I just can't understand why I had to. It's not that 'allow hybrid sleep' is disabled under the AMD plan and I don't know anything else I can check. Doesn't seem to matter if 'wake on whatever' or ERP are enabled or disabled.

0 Likes
4 Replies

I can't offer any help on why it is doing this now. I can however offer a general suggestion. That being that Hibernation and FastStartup are IMHO an abomination in Windows 10. They cause performance issues, system instability, plays havoc with driver installs and together even on the slowest systems make system wakeup only seconds faster. I suggest you disable them. This will cause your system to now use traditional standby sleep which for a desktop again IMHO is much better, and save you from a plethora of other potential issues. See if that doesn't make your sleep recovery better too. 

jewelsp3
Journeyman III

Thank you for your responses, I had turned fast start up off about 30 min after initially installing Windows (as soon as I remembered the problematic feature exists) though so that's nothing to do with my issue and I'm afraid hibernating the machine is really what works for me as I often have to leave the machine for days with about 5 seconds notice to shut it down, I want to just hit hibernate and have it go off and be able to resume my work exactly where I left off whenever I get back to it (and without my cat managing to wake it by walking on the keyboard). I know it causes issues with updates, etc but for practicality I need hibernate to work.

0 Likes

And you can't disable Hiberntion and use Standby why? Disabling hibernation doesn't disable sleeping, it only switches it to standby sleep. It will do everything you wanted and actually come back up faster. You can set different ways to wake the system with hibernate or standby it is the same. You can set it so you literally have to hit the power button to wake it, as I think you even mentioned. So unless you cat is super talented it should not be an issue. Either way I agree it sucks when stuff worked but now doesn't.  Only trying to help with a work around until they hopefully get a new driver out that fixes this.

Have you reported it to AMD yet? 

Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes