offler

Radeon VII - Temperature and cooling

Discussion created by offler on Feb 11, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2019 by hardcoregames™

Hello.

I installed my Radeon VII on saturday and did few tests during sunday.

Witcher 3 @ 4k
Does run well at 59-60 FPS, after some time the card start to throttle and FPS drops to 50 or below.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance @ 4k

It runs on 47 FPS as its unoptimized and i use high-resolution texture pack. But even here its obvious that thermal thtrottling starts.

In both cases the throttling starts due Tjunction temperature above 110°C. From the relesed data is known that the VII chip has 64 thermal sensors and throttling starts regadless which of these sensors report high temperature.

The same behavior was visible during synthetic stress test using MSI Kombustor at 1080p. Over 45 minute test when i decreased power to -20, overall GPU temperature was not higher than 83°C, but Tjunction was over 110°C...

From the screens I have seen at YT channel by DerBauer is clear that vapor chamber has been cut and surface is quite flat. Replacing thermal compound even with liquid metal may help a bit, but the primary cause here seems to be not just the type of thermal paste/TIM but the pressure distribution.

amdmatt

a) Is it possible to add to Wattman a view which allows me to check each of the sensors individually?
b) I will not replace thermal compound (i guess the graphite should be OK), but there are mods which increase the pressure a bit. Apparently bad contact seems to be an issue, even when its obvious that Thermalpad is glued to both cooler and chip.

Apparently this might help:

Outcomes