cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

toks1c
Adept I

RX 580 Crashing

I've spent the past few days mercilessly trying to figure out what is crashing my entire computer.

My system specs are the following:

• Main Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24" G 144Hz, 1ms, i have 2 other monitors connected also
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R6 White
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHZ
  • MOBO: MSI ProSeries B450-A Pro
  • GFX: MSI Gaming Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • MEM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000mhz
  • PWR: EVGA Supernova 750w G3 80+ Gold
  • SSDx2, HD x2
  • Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The Drivers I've tried were 19.2.1 and 19.1.1 , both crash the same way

Attached are Dx.Diag  and MSINFO

The game I'm trying to play is Star Wars Battlefront: 2.

This crashing only occurs during this game during multiplayer. During the crash all windows freeze. Sometimes all monitors go black and I need to hard reset my machine, sometimes if I spam CTRL+ALT+Delete or ALT+F4 I can catch it before it freezes me out completely. The crash generates no errors within Origin, just a hard freeze.

I've checked event viewer and sometimes I will see "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." around the time of the crash.

I've monitored the game while playing to see my CPU/GPU/MEM usage and only the GPU is running at 100%, then falling quickly to around zero%. The CPU and memory are not close to 100% during the game or crashes.

I've submitted a ticket via Origin trying to delete the game's cache, use repair feature, cap framerate with cfg files to 60 fps to no avail. The game will just crash at random, some times a lot in a row, sometimes only after a few hours.

-After failing to find a solution with Origin I used DDU to uninstall all old drivers and reinstall them in safe mode.

-Made sure BIOS/chipset drivers were up to date, reset to defaults.

-After that did not work I also reinstalled windows on my SSD, the crashing continued.

-I've tried multiple settings in global wattman like increasing the power +50%, decreasing the frequency by -10%, setting a custom fan curve to no avail.

-I've tried running windows memory test but it showed no errors.

-Tried checking for errors on my HDs but found nothing.

-Disabled XBOX,DVR, game mode

-Disabled all other programs while playing and it still crashes.

I've searched high and low on all forums relating to this game/gpu/engine and I cannot find a consistent solution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
19 Replies
andrews9
Adept III

Try to remove the current Driver and install the 18.12.2 version.

1- Use AMD Cleanup Utility, reboot, disable Windows update.

2- Install the Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.2.

3- Go to Wattman and adjust the Fan/Temperature settings to Manual. Set the fans to spin at 90% speed when the gpu Temp is 65'C.

4- You might wanna try to lower the Gpu clock also. Try to lower the State 6 to 1250 Mhz and State 7 to 1285 Mhz.

I didnt play/test your game, but you should try what i've said, just to see if the game is crashing again. If it is, then it might be a game-driver issue. Please keep in mind that almost all the games are developed/made for Nvidia-Intel platforms, so they are not optimized for AMD cards(platforms).

I also have RX 580(xfx) and indeed the drivers are not perfect, but the Radeon Settings is very fast and has a lot of options compared to my nvidia control panel. When i play Mad Max after a while the game crashes, i receive an error that says GPU device doesnt repsond bla bla bla the gpu may have access a loop or something. But when i play Mass Effect Andromeda, everything is fine even after hours, with the graphic settings on ultra.

ps: remove any MSi Afterburner software...just stay clean, only with AMD Radeon Settings. Test it and let me know how is working.

0 Likes

Not using MSI afterburner any more.

-Went into wattman and lowered frequency by 10%, gave stable gameplay for almost the entire day

-Even after redownloading the 80gb game it still crashes.

0 Likes

If the game still crashes, please try the following steps:
Step 1- press “Windows key + R” and type %ProgramData% and press enter. Open the origin folder and delete all files and folders except for “LocalContent”. Now again press “Windows key + R” and type %AppData% and press enter. Delete the Origin folder in the window that opens up.
Now click on the “AppData” at the top of your window and open up the “Local” folder. Delete the Origin folder here and restart the PC.
Step 2- Try to switch to DirectX 11 setting in the game menu
Step 3- If you can't switch/change, open up the Documents folder and navigate to Star Wars Battlefront II\settings and open the BootOptions in a text editor and change “GstRender.EnableDx12 1” to “GstRender.EnableDx12 0”.
Step 4- If the game still crashes, uninstall the current Radeon driver and try the old CD Driver that came with your graphic card. It might not have wattman integrated but you should try it.
Step 5- Open AMD Radeon Settings-->>Gaming-->>Global Settings [before entering Global Settings,remove any other StarWars game profile, if you have any]
Step 6- Try to set the following here in Global Graphics:
    * Anti-Aliasing Mode= Use application settings
    * Anti-aliasing method= Multisampling
    * Morphological Filtering= Off
    * Anisotropic Filtering Mode= Use application settings
    * Texture Filtering Quality= Standard
    * Surface Format Optimization= Off
    * Shader Cache= Off
    * Maximum Tessellation Mode= Use application settings
    * Wait for Vertical Refresh=Off, Unless Application Specifies
    [Wait for Vertical Refresh only works OpenGL 3D applications. When using other APIs such as DirectX® or Vulkan®, VSync is controlled via the 3D application graphics settings.]
    * OpenGL Triple Buffering requires Wait for Vertical Refresh to be set to Always On and applies only to OpenGL 3D applications
    * OpenGL Triple Buffering= Off
    * Test the Game Advisor also, see if the detected settings have an impact on the game crash.
Step 7- Use only One monitor (until you manage to have a game that work fine for hours)
Step 8- ( unrelated to your issue directly but i would do this if i were you )
Step 8- Disable your Antivirus-Firewall-mallware etc software. If you have software such as Kaspersky/Node32/Norton Security Scan/etc, you should disable it or remove it.
    - I see you have SSD, you can disable Disk Defragmentation. If it is ON, it will decrease your SSD Life. And it will start to defrag your disks while you are doing something else.
Step 9- In the game menu, try these settings:
    * Enable Dynamic Resolution= NO
    * Motion Blur Amount= 20%
    * Resolution Scale= 100%
    * Anti-aliasing= FXAA High
    * Shadow Quality= Low
    * Post Processing= Low
    * Ambient Occlusion= Medium
The game looks great, i hope you have time and energy to find the problem causing this crash. Unfortunately i dont have the game, i would have made some tests to compare.

There is an old post (2017) regarding problems Star Wars Battlefront: 2 and the amd drivers. They are talking about the new drivers(from that time) messing the game textures in certain levels.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3xjc2p/star_wars_battlefront_2_is_broken_with_crimson/

Link

0 Likes

Was able to play for a few hours today but same thing. Crashing.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. May i ask if you have all the drivers installed ? I know it sounds silly, but did you use the mainboard cd drtivers? I am asking because in december i have seen a powerful system( i9+1080TI ) that was freezing during the game World of Tanks. Seriously. What was weird is that the system had the Nvidia GPU Drivers installed. I myself checked. But in the end the system had to be re-installed again. Win10+mainboard drivers+gpu drivers. And after that everything was fine. We all know that windows have integrated drivers good to function "out of the box", but i believe that specific drivers must be installed properly in order to push-stretch the whole system to the maximum.

Can you test your GPU on another system? or can you install another  PSU in your system? you should test your system with another GPU too. So the problem can be identified much easier. What are your GPU temps ? during the game. Try to log the performance parameters with Radeon Settings during the gameplay, so you can read the CVS file after the freezing/restart. The system only fail while playing Star Wars? Are there any other games that crashes after few hours?

0 Likes

My gpu temps have never gone over 77degrees C during intensive games. I personally reapplied thermal paste to see if that was the cause.

I've downloaded all mobo drivers from the website and installed them right after I re-installed windows.

Numerous posts on EA forums have pointed to rx580s or other AMD cards having this issue.

I have another gpu on the way, I appreciate all the help.

I'm going to try to return,RMA, or sell this card.

0 Likes
andrews9
Adept III

You're welcome. I understand you. Anyway its weird. If the card is running fine in other games or applications then it means the card is not damaged. If StarWars Battlefront 2 is the only game that crashes then it must be a driver-game related problem. Good luck!

0 Likes
toks1c
Adept I

Final post. My new graphics card a GTX 1070 does not crash.

Lock plz.

alxz
Journeyman III

I just bought a system with this gpu and its been crashing any demanding game i play on it, im an inch away from returning it, is that all theres left to do?

0 Likes
teletubie99
Journeyman III

Hi, i have the same issue

I tried old drivers with no results, any suggestions?

0 Likes

I've returned my part because it appears it was faulty

0 Likes
jos31337
Journeyman III

Hi first sorry for my bad english.

I had the same problem wattman reset default crash pc black screen and then i have restart pc this happened when gpu have work o play a game. The gpu its rx 580 xfx black edition gts freq 1405 gpu clock y 2000 memory clock.

I solved it change la bios now its frecuency 1366gpu clock y 2000 memory clock.

before  reinstall OS and drivers but it did not work.

0 Likes

In my case, the graphics card was faulty, I suggest that you use your warranty if you have one and return the GPU hopefully if they send you a new one it won't be faulty.

0 Likes
filarius
Journeyman III

Hello everyone,

Motherboard: Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Graphic: Asus Radeon RX580 8GB oc
Processor: Intel i7 4790K
Memory: Kingston Hyperx Fury Blue at 1600 (32 GB)
Monitor: Asus MG24UQ

For the past month I have had the same problem and it can be said that I have tried the same solutions and others. I only play War Thunder at a resolution of 3640 x 2160. It seems that everything is due to a bottleneck problem because one of the components (in this case the graphics card) stands out from the rest.

In my case I have been able to solve it in the following way: using the Asus GPU Twek II application) using the Silent Mode and keeping the 0dB fan on. It seems that in this way a low voltage is applied and all the components work in tandem. My temperature does not rise too much and I have not had a black screen or lock again.

I hope this possible solution serves you. (Text translated with Google translator)

Regards
Filarius

seboltr
Journeyman III

Hello everyone

I found myself in the same situation.

It froze into more demanding games (Battlefield V, Destiny 2, BlackOps 4 were the only games that made my pc crashed)

I enabled Radeon Chill and limited my fps from min80-max90 and apparently it worked. I played destiny on highest settings for more than 6 hours and it didn't crashed at all.

I also have a similar configurations

amd 2600x

16gb 3200mhz corsair vengeance rgb pro

rx 580 aorus 8gb

620W seasonic bronze

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Likes
warsun
Challenger

Stay calm an try this.

Uninstall your driver an install this one. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-9-1 

0 Likes

I'm having the same issue.

AC Valhalla crashes every time. Cyberpunk as well.

Sometimes I can play for a few minutes, sometimes it crashes when the games are opening.

I'm really frustrated. I've tried everything.

RX 580 Sapphire Nitro + Special Edition

Ryzen 5 3600

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

16GB @ 2800 MHZ

650W power supply.

0 Likes

try and reduce voltage/heat, what I noticed helped at stock. Pretty much had your system, I swapped the b450 to the x570, larger cpu cooler (212x), and 32gb (16x2) 3600mhz Corsair vengeance. It’s pretty stable, though I think the prebuilt came with a bronze 650w psu so I also wanna swap to a gold 850w. Try undervolting a bit, and definitely adjust the fan curve so it’s at least 90% @ 65-70*c. I can’t seem to push the rx580 xfx at all. Any tweak beyond auto trips it up.
So for settings I have:

boost on, min res 50%

image sharpening 50%

wait for vertical refresh always on

Frame rate target control 60 

anti-aliasing override application- 2xEQ

Adaptive Multi morphological enabled

anisotropic 4x 

Texture quality- performance 

surface optimization on

open gl on

gpu workload graphics

computer power settings on performance with  xmp enabled @ 1.22v instead of 1.35v in EUFI. I can play valheim nearly maxed 1440p@55fps on my 2018 55” 4k  tv all day(I just migrated from a console, gpu market is brutal). Forza, portal, dota, eve online, path of exile, all performed well, Raft was the hardest to get to run stable(?). Cinebench multi core stress test was 9345. Still feel like there’s more to tap but I’m experience limited and learning as fast as I can. Hope that helps!

0 Likes

Oh! I swapped from asrock to asrock (steel legend) b450 to x570 and didn’t have to do anything, it booted and registered the change, told Microsoft I just recently swapped components in settings, and I’m activated. Easy as pie!

0 Likes