Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

__tom_
Adept I

Help me upgrading my Ram (should I?)

Hello guys,

I was thinking about upgrading my current ram to a one with higher speed. I saw some benchmark on youtube and the average Frames where often higher as mine. Right now I just have 2 x 8gb of  2133mhz Ram and I want to buy a faster type of ram. I also heard that ryzen benefits from faster ram. 

My current system:

Ryzen 7 2700x

AMD Vega 64

16 GB DDR4 2133Ram (2x8 dual channel)

gigabyte x470 AORUS Ultra Gaming

1TB HDD, 500GB SSD, 128GB SSD

Windows 10 64 bit

I made 3 tries in a benchmark (Time Spy)

Results:    Try 1: 6927

Try 2: 6821

Try 3: 6789

My questions:

Will I see an improvement of the FPS? Wich Ram should I buy? What good would faster ram do in general?

Maybe you have some general tips for me. Iam thankful for any answer. BTW sry for bad language... Iam from germany.

0 Likes
8 Replies

The performance difference between 2133 and 3200 is about 5% on average, so that's a lot to pay, over €175, for what equates to a negligible increase in performance. If you were to upgrade, I'd suggest the G.Skill Flare DDR4 3200 modules, they're still about the best RAM you can get, 14-14-14-34 timings.

noodles59
Miniboss

Yes, it is possible that 3200 ram gives you a ~100 more TS points but what's the point? ..your Vega 64 is already top cream out of the box.

0 Likes

16GB is adequate and faster clocks are just more wait states, save you pesos and use DDR4-2133

0 Likes

Um, no dude, AMD's Infinity Fabric is drastically affected by memory speed

And this translates to performance gains in games (and in other programs as well)

Zen 2 chips will feature a single I/O die which should eliminate the RAM speed performance variance, but with Ryzen and Ryzen+ (1000 and 2000 series), the faster the RAM, the higher the performance.

I have not seen much difference in my tests, total main memory bandwidth is a function of the reality that a transistor and a capacitor is all that DRAM is

access times are not much better now than 10 years ago, no RAM is much better than 50-70ns access times which is why CPU caches are larger and larger

0 Likes
__tom_
Adept I

So would an upgrade be worth it?  I also saw this video on youtube and its looks like that faster Ram gives you actually an advantage in FPS. +black_zion example shows the same. I could get Gskill Ram for 120€ or Corsair Ram for 130 bucks. 

0 Likes

That's going to be up to you as to if it's worth it. You can see on The Witcher 3 benchmark it resulted in a 15% performance increase, which is measurable, so I would and sell the old RAM to offset the cost. However, if you're not going to use G.Skill Flare DDR4 3200, then I would ask in Gigabyte's forums for memory recommendations, since they would know which modules work the best in your motherboard.

0 Likes

Okay, thx for help. I appreciate it. 

0 Likes