cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

huotpotatoe
Journeyman III

Monitor Keeeps Going Black When Fullscreen

I recently built a Ryzen build with Ryzen 5 2600 and Gygabyte RX 580 8gb. I installed windows 10 pro and then problems started to acquire. At first I experienced blackouts when playing games in fullscreen, the pc wasn't shutting down, the sound was still on and the game would still be running. These blackouts lead to more blackouts (those blackouts lasts for about 1-3 sec.) every 5-10 mins, afterwards purple screen kept appearing when going into fullscreen, extreme screen tearing etc.

Fast forward I couldn't play any games in fullscreen because the screen would just go black I immediately contacted my seller and I got my gpu replaced with the same model. The problem seemed to be gone, but it came back after 5-8 hours of computer use. Then monitor went black for couple of seconds not only when I was playing a game in fullscreen but when I was watching a video on Youtube while fullscreen. I found that those blackouts dissapeared when watching a video without hardware acceleration.

With new video card in my pc  I DDU'd my gpu drivers, searched all internet for fixes, cleared cmos, uninstalled MSI AfterBurner, tried different PCIe slot and nothing helped. Today I turned on my pc and for some reason I wasn't getting more than 30 fps on any game. After downloading AfterBurner I found out, that windows shows video card usage 100%, but gpu clock speed stays locked at 300mhz and won't go above. My cpu won't go above 15% usage either. I reinstalled windows and the problem with locked clock speed went away but I still experience blackouts. Now I'm completely lost, I have never experienced a problem I couldn't solve and I hope I find the solution here

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess I spoke too soon on my previous comment. I was actually able to fix this issue by doing two things (not sure which one of them actually fixed it but I'm more inclined to #2):

1) Turn the PC off, unplug it from power and remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard for a few minutes, then put it back in.

2) Download DDU and the most recent AMD Adrenaline Driver, turn off any network connections (so that Windows doesn't try to download any drivers by itself) and restart Windows in Safe Mode. Run DDU to remove all GPU drivers, restart Windows 10 (normal boot, not safemode), and install the AMD Adrenaline driver.

So far it's been a few hours, I went in and out of games, played fullscreen videos on Youtube and local, and so far no black screens anywhere. Try it, maybe you'll have the same luck.

0 Likes