AnsweredAssumed Answered

My gpu(and apu) driver keeps getting corrupted and resulting in 'video tdr failure' or 'thread stuck in device driver' Bsod

Question asked by supreem on Jan 20, 2019

My Spec: Lenovo G50-45(80e301n3in) with a8-6410 apu, 8gb ram, 1 tb hdd and r5 m330(2 gb) gpu.

This all happened after a windows update(windows 10), I was playing far cry 3 on dx11 and My whole laptop froze and I had to force shutdown my laptop and restart it again. After I restarted it I saw my both my gpu and apu's drivers with a small yellow exclamation mark(in device manager) indication driver corruption so I decided to reinstall it. Those drivers got corrupted right after I reinstalled them. Then I decided to download latest driver again and install but this time everything went fine, I restarted my laptop after driver installation, when I opened game Bsod came up. No matter what application I open if it uses directx I get Bsod with either of those 2 error mentioned in the headlines. My laptop encounters Bsod even if a prompt popup(like 'do you want to run this application as administrator?'). Things work fine If I use Microsoft basic display driver but I cant do gaming on that. I tried disabling(and replacing)my apu's driver with microsoft's basic display driver, things work fine but my gpu wont even switch on without my apu running.

What all I did till now:

I tried reinstalling driver multiple times(different versions too)

I tried DDU

I tried Clean install of Windows 10

Ran memory test(bios memory test) to check If I had bad ram, None of these worked so far.

But Strangely things work really fine in Linux Ubuntu(I tried dual booting) but Its a pretty bad choice for gaming afaik. Is my gpu or gpu on my apu dead or is this some weird problem that can be fixed?

Outcomes