AnsweredAssumed Answered

Awful Single and Multi-Threaded DX11 graphics driver performance

Question asked by ketxxx on Jan 18, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 20, 2019 by waltc

The title says it all. I'm currently gathering data for a very in-depth GPU article including driver performance and I've been absolutely dumbfounded by the horrendous single and multi-threaded driver performance in the 3DMark API tests. The drivers I've looked at so far for the AMD side are Adrenaline 18.10.2 and Adrenaline 19.1.1, I of course did not take the API test as fact but upon running a plethora of DX11 benchmarks have found the API test results to also represent actual game performance in several scenarios the AMD card (RX580) being used as part of the testing is being completely trounced by an nvidia equivalent GPU (GTX980), for example in Metro Last Light with SSAA enabled the AMD card scores a rather paltry 48.1FPS average while the nvidia card clocked on the GPU to match the RX580 in frequency (1.35GHz) scores 56.3FPS average. Without divulging too many details about the article where its a work in progress I'll say that surely the AMD card should at least be equalling the 980 all of my tests all point to one reason why the RX580 is doing so badly - terrible single and multi-threaded driver level DX11 optimisation.

Any chance of getting someone from AMD to get in touch with me to discuss these many findings I have come across in the process of getting this article together? In 5 out of 6 DX11 tests performed the AMD card gets the pants beat off it these performance problems are far too widespread to be isolated instances and without giving away numbers the AMD card in the 3DMark API test is more than 100% SLOWER than the nvidia card in the multi-threaded portion of the DX11 test.

Outcomes