cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

naturalwarp
Adept I

Terrible performance on new system : TR 1950X / RTX 2080 / X399 / 970 EVO / 64GB Corsair Vengeance

So , I just build this 4.800 € machine ( it is my first AMD ) and it's been running for a week now ... and everything works ...
in short : AMD Threadripper 1950X / Aorus Geforce RTX 2080 / X399 Aorus Extreme / 3x Samsung 970 EVO M.2 / 64GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance ( 4 x 16 )

But what is troubling me , in some cases it is performing so bad even compared to my 3 year old intel system. ( i7 4790 , GTX 750 , 16 GB RAM )
That made me think i must be doing something terribly wrong !!

The worst performance i had was in the online app "poly" by google
this is a simple 3D object viewer and ran super smooth on my old pc but is now killing the performance to 2 to 4 fps with this new wanna-be "beast"

also i've noticed some other sluggishness before ( will add to this question in detail when it pops up again , don't remind the apps atm )
for example viewing 360° images in facebook stuttering alot !!

At this stage i didn't tweak or tune any OC apps yet except for some RGB colors and the CPU watercooling fan and pump speeds ( enermax liqtech 360 OC TR4 II )
since those 3 fans kept going up and down towards full speed and making alot of noise compared to the actual temperature fluctuation .

So , now i started benchmarking , and got at some point got only 524cb in Cinebench ( even after i enabled XMP in my bios )
highest score i got was a bit over 1900cb ( after setting the standard 3.7Ghz OC in Easytune / Smart Boost ) but even without benchmarking the CPU temp went above 80C° !!

I'm reading 4.00Ghz and higher OC is possible even with idle temps of +/- 60C°
and i saw benchmarks of 3000 cb and higher with the same machine specs without over clocking

So, i could really use some tips and would love to find a nice and stable setting for my machine ( i don't have any OC experience at all )
or to find out what it is i am doing wrong.

0 Likes
1 Solution

naturalwarp, I'm coming late to this, but do you see that your temperature is maxed out at 68C!  The processor is throttling.  What CPU cooler do you have?  Here are my specifications and I have no temperature problems:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black,  G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

If I missed the show, please forgive me.  Enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
naturalwarp
Adept I

i just bought Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound and will update what happens with the temperatures in a couple of days

all Cinebench tests keep ending up somewhere between 500 and 1900 cb ( so imo really bad )
these variations happen while tweaking a bit with standard OC settings of memory and cpu in the Easytune app by Aorus

( haven't tried uninstalling them , i also read they are garbage )

So a bit in the dark here , and still would love some advice on performance !!!

0 Likes
naturalwarp
Adept I

After a half a day of reading testing and searching with only these terrible results ...

I uninstalled all of the Gigabyte apps like Appcenter, including Easytune etc ... all those that come with the mainboard.

Rebooted , ran 1 session of Cinebench and without adjustments whatsoever in the bios ( all default settings )

i scored 2640 cb multi thread
and 151 cb single thread

but this was a 1 time score only ... after that i only tried enabling the memory XMP but things got worse again
also a bit of cpu fan speed control ( in bios )

never scored highed then 1900 averaging 1600 cb

now i'm wondering still what is going wrong ( and if i should use Ryzen master to OC and tweak )

0 Likes

i did read those

now i installed ryzen master and seems like my cpu is going from 3.70Ghz to 3.92Ghz up and down ...

i did not overclock it , and even uninstalled the software that came with the mainboard that was managing the OC settings

i want to go default factory settings again , but don't know how

0 Likes

i downloaded the basic F3 bios version from the aorus website , and Q Flashed it from current F4 to F3

loaded defaults and go ... no difference in temperatures yet sadly

0 Likes
naturalwarp
Adept I

my bios says it is running the CPU at 3.4 Ghz
Core Temp says it runs at 3.6 Ghz

Ryzen Master says it runs at 3.7 and shows fluctuations towards 3.95 and back

Voltage control goes up and down from 1.256 and 1.425 ??

sounds illogical to me ?

i have no idea where to go from here ... idle temp also still ranging from 60 to 70 C° ( which i don't like at all )
please help

0 Likes

It may be better to move/have your post moved to the Processors​ section where more TR cpu users could help, offer suggestions.

amdmatt

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

thx ! i hope for some tips now that we arrived in processors

0 Likes

Be prepared for a possible long haul in getting it right(to your standard) and silicon lottery.

I've previously downloaded/printed 50-70 pages of guides for each various intel cpu used(and several weeks of trial & error).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

terrible bench test results :
cpu-z bench results BAD.jpg

idle temp :
cpu temp.jpg

extreme multiplier drop :

extreme low drop during cinebench test.jpg

extreme multiplier drop :

major drop in performance under workload.jpg

0 Likes

naturalwarp, I'm coming late to this, but do you see that your temperature is maxed out at 68C!  The processor is throttling.  What CPU cooler do you have?  Here are my specifications and I have no temperature problems:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black,  G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

If I missed the show, please forgive me.  Enjoy, John.

yeah after reading alot about this throttling is indeed what i thought i would be

so shut the pc down and now working from my old one , waiting for the new thermal paste to arrive

cooling is Enermax Liqtech 360 TR4 OC II , this one should really cool that block to low temps right ?

0 Likes

by the way would love to hear about your cpu settings

clockspeed voltage multiplier and what i really want to know is the idle temp and 100% stress temps

0 Likes

naturalwarp, that cooler should do a great job.  Thermal paste makes very little difference.  There is a review of many pastes from liquid metal (great but destroys AMD processors) down to toothpaste and shaving creme.  Very little difference till you get down to the last two.  I will post a link if I can find it.  Unless there is too little or too much TIM, it makes little difference and suggests you have other problems.  What TIM are you using and is it squirting out the sides?  Where do you you have the pump and fans plugged?  I run all four fans and the pump on straight 12 Volts from the power supply.  Most fan speed regulators on the MBs seem to be a real problem.  I suggest you plug all your fans and pump into 12 volts then test, hand checking hose temperatures and radiator temperature.  You should be able to feel temperature differences.  There has been more that one case I have seen with the EnerMax cooler pump failing (not turning).  EnerMax service is great and will help quickly.  I also plug the tachometer wire from the fans (one per pair) and pump into the MB so I can see the speeds of all.  Right now my pump is running 2878 RPM and the fans running 1800 RPM or so.

Right now I am using a 1950X due to MB problems (RAID) on my 2990WX.  Unfortunately I am not an OCer, so mainly run my systems at stock condition.  One day I may try some OCing.  Please keep posting your Ryzen Master (RM) screenshots!  They contain tons of information.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
naturalwarp
Adept I

Ok good news !!

removed the pump block from the cpu, cleaned off all thermal paste
and applied Noctua NT-H1 ( 1 thin line of 8 mm lenght in the center of the cpu )

screwed it back on , really really tight.

now with bios set to standard optimized defaults i get this :

CPU idling at 37C° with low fan speed

first CineBench test run :
157cb single core
2919cb multithread

temp during this bench 68 C°

first CPU-Z bench score :
single 450 ( compared to reference cpu 406 )
multi thread 8979.6 ( compared to reference cpu 8696 )
temp during this bench ranging from 60 to 65 C°

how it looked when i removed the heatsink :

i used the paste added with the enermax watercooler and applied with a spreader plastic card ( lesson learned )

20190116_145048.jpg

20190116_145038.jpg

0 Likes

naturalwarp, looks a lot better.  I ran CineBench and got very similar readings but my temperatures only went to about 45C.  Have you tried the 12 Volt suggestion I presented?  I do think you have IDed the problem.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hey Misterj

thx for your follow up, i have not tried the 12V suggestion since i really want my fans to turn as silent as possible
( i guess providing the fans with a directly 12V connection disables the fan speed control right ? )

superlow fan speeds are of top priority

i DO want a kickass system with top performance but i would only start overclocking if i can keep it really quiet ...
no need for a super noisy machine since it is my daily work station and i need a Zen space in my studio .

any suggestions to crank it up in silent mode are superwelcome !
( do realize i am a complete noob overclocker )

0 Likes

naturalwarp, straight 12 Volts will make the pump and fans run at full speed.  You can still see the speed using the tachometer connections.  My systems are very quiet and I encourage you to try it to see it you still have a problem.  If the 12 Volts does not bring your temperatures down to my range, then perhaps there is a pump or fan problem.  My fans are large and run slowly and are much quieter than smaller fans turning lots of RPMs.  One system has 193 mm and 140mm on the CPU cooling job and it is very quiet.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

yeah i definitely don't want to run my fans at full speed
i don't want to hear those 3 fans all day ...

that radiator is standard cooled by 3 x 120 mm fans , imo 50% fan speed should at least do the trick to cool and idle CPU

0 Likes

naturalwarp, as you prefer.  Here is the TIM review: Thermal Paste Round-up: CPU Water Cooling Enjoy, John.

0 Likes