Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bhuvsta85
Journeyman III

VEGA 64 Displayport 1.2 Limited Monitor Output Issue

Hello all,

I'm having issues getting my Vega 64 to display my monitors native resolution - 2160p60. If I set my monitor to Displayport 1.1 there are no issues acheiving 2160p30. However when I set my monitor to Displayport 1.2 I get several issues depending on which driver I have installed (I've tried a selection from 17.12.1 to 18.11.12):

17.12.1 - Limited to 1080p60 at DP1.2 (but 2160p30 at DP1.1) with the "The System has detected a link failure....." message.

18.3.1, 18.3.4 and 18.6.1 - Limited to 1080p60 at DP1.2 (but 2160p30 at DP1.1) but NO 'link failure' message.

18.7.1 and 18.9.3 - Limited to 1080p60 at DP1.2 (but 2160p30 at DP1.1) but NO 'link failure' message. These drivers actually have 2160p60 (and many other resolutions above 1080p60) but they all result in a blank screen and the display reverts to 2160p60.

18.11.12 to latest - Get a blank screen during driver install, which I assume is the drivers defaulting to 2160p60 without falling back to 1080p60.

I've tried a fresh install of Windows 10 but the problem still persists. Without an AMD graphics driver installed Windows defaults to 3840 x 2160 @ 64fps which appears to work ok.

There were no issues when I connected my PC to a UHD TV via HDMI 2.0. The PC successfully played a few games so I can assume that it's not a power consumption/supply issue. Unfortunately my monitor is limited to HDMI 1.4.

I was previously using a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X with the same hardware and that had no issues with attaining 2160p60 using DP1.2 so I don't think it is an issue with the Displayport cable I'm using. I have tried Displayport cables of different lengths and even a DP to mini-DP cable.

I'm assuming this points to a driver issue with DP1.2. Any suggestions?

Mobo: Asus B350-F Strix (Latest BIOS)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600 (Default Speed)

RAM: 16GB 3400 Mhz DDR4

Graphics: Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+

Monitor: Phillips BDM4065

PSU: EVGA G2 1kW

0 Likes
3 Replies

Unfortunately my monitor is limited to HDMI 1.4.

I am not sure how you came to discover that your monitor only has HDMI 1.4, but if correct then don't even bother trying to use HDMI - HDMI 1.4 can only support 4K at 30Hz, not 60Hz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4

Regarding DisplayPort 1.2, 4K 60Hz requires 17.82Gbps while DisplayPort 1.2 only provides 17.28Gbps... close, but no dice. See if your monitor will support 4K at 50Hz instead. This will again depend on whether your monitor supports that refresh rate; most do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.2

Vega 64 supports DP 1.4 which can handle 4K/60Hz/HDR10, so you could always just replace the monitor. Use DisplayPort exclusively in testing, don't bother with HDMI and converters because you don't know what they're going to convert into. Every DP cable (to date) is forwards-compatible, so as long as it isn't an off-spec 30 footer or something, it should work. (No need for mini-DP either. ).

0 Likes
ob3rg
Journeyman III

You have the same monitor as me. the Phillips BDM4065

i have the same problem as you.
I can only get the monitor to work in dp 1.1. mode.

Tried it on both Linux and Windows.

My vega64 works flawlessly when connected to a 22" 1080p screen as well as 144hz 1440p screen.
But doing 2160p60 it refuses to do.

Did you end up solving your problem without replacing the monitor?

0 Likes

I have managed to get it to work semi-reliably but it is still a bit of a faff.

Firstly:

1. I purchased one of the thicker, certified Displayport cables from Club3D. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links on here, but the cable model is the CAC-1060.
  2. I use an application called "HotKey Resolution Changer" so that when the connection fails and I get a blank screen I can use a keyboard shortcut to return to a safe resolution. You will need to add it to the list of start-up programs so it starts automatically.

I'm no expert, but from my experiences the issue seems to be with the handshake between the monitor and the card, therefore I typically do something along the following:

1. Log into Windows
    1. If your PC was running with 2160p60 when you shut down then you will probably have to deal with the link the failing and having a blank screen to deal with. Even without being able to see what is happening it is possible to log-in and use the hotkeys to revert to a safe resolution.
  2. Once Windows has finished loading up, switch the resolution back to 2160p60. Typically this will fail again. On to step 3.
  3. Pull the power cable out of the monitor (while leaving it switched on). Give it 25-30 seconds for it to discharge.
  4. Push the power cable back in to the monitor.
  5. If you are lucky, this will have sorted it out. If not, on to step 6.
  6. Use your hotkeys to cycle between a safe resolution and 2160p60. This normally takes a couple of cycles and works for me if 4. is unsuccessful. Return to 3. if unsuccessful.

Most games will try to cycle the refresh rate (and cause it to fail again) when you start them up. Therefore I have resorted to running in either 'borderless windowed mode' or 'bordered windowed mode' to stop that from happening.

Overall though, it has been pretty disappointing that something like this would happen. I've had no problems with this monitor and my SAPPHIRE R9 290 Tri-X so I am assuming that the fault lies with the drivers or the hardware combination. Prior to installing the AMD drivers, Windows would be running the card at 2160p64 so mostly likely a driver issue. Despite being pro-AMD I'm considering switching to the green team for my next purchase.

0 Likes