cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mgander04
Journeyman III

External Graphics Card?

I purchased an HP Pavilion All-in-One 27-r0xx back in 2018 with no intention of gaming.  I have since started playing Fortnite and WOW among a few others.  I'm looking to improve my gaming experience without breaking the bank and buying a new PC.  I'm looking at some options for an external GC as the PC doesn't have a PCI port available.  What would you suggest as an option?

0 Likes
4 Replies

Does your computer have a Thunderbolt port? If not, then you can't get a dock. If it does, what is your CPU?

0 Likes

I have a USB-C port but not a direct Thunderbolt port. My CPU is a Intel Core i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHz

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

0 Likes

Without Thunderbolt you're out of luck as far as external graphics cards go.

0 Likes
grimbloodwolf
Adept III

Being an all in one, your PC is very likely built with laptop hardware, many laptops have "mini pcie" style connectors inside, often that slot will be populated with a Wifi card, some laptops actually have 2, one populated with a Wifi card and one sitting empty..... if your all in one uses such hardware, and you're not afraid to turn some screws to have a look inside to find out(and void whatever warranty you have left, and risk damage to the PC if you don't know what you're doing, so BE CAREFUL if you try this!!!)...... it's very possible you might be in luck.....  There are docks available that use such connectors, they're generally not branded with any major brand, and they're generally fairly inexpensive, some of them are as cheap as $10, you'll also need to aquire a desktop PC power supply to power the dock, and for the PCIe power connector on the GPU....... if you pull your machine apart and discover any of these slots, the next step would be checking around on aliexpress, ebay, or amazon for a "minipcie gpu dock"...... there is no guaranteed compatibility because minipcie doesn't seem to be a universal standard, so even if you have the slot, there's a chance it still might not work.... but it works fine with many laptops........ this is a DIY project, and I wouldn't at all recommend this unless you're experienced , and want to try a fun little project....... so try this at your OWN RISK.

0 Likes