cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pylit
Journeyman III

What is the 2950x IHS material?

I came across a reddit posting about the 1950x being made (at least in part) of Aluminum and because of that causing issues with liquid metal thermal paste. I was just wondering if this same problem exists with the second generation Threadripper. I could not find any information about the package material. Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

As far as I know AMD has always used aluminum for the heatspreader since they were introduced with the Athlon64 generation, as aluminum transmits heat so readily. TomsHardware showed us years ago that there is very little reason to use liquid metal TIM as with liquid cooling the difference between it and the dirt cheap time tested ArcticSilver 5 is only 3*C, and the same holds true today.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies

As far as I know AMD has always used aluminum for the heatspreader since they were introduced with the Athlon64 generation, as aluminum transmits heat so readily. TomsHardware showed us years ago that there is very little reason to use liquid metal TIM as with liquid cooling the difference between it and the dirt cheap time tested ArcticSilver 5 is only 3*C, and the same holds true today.

0 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I was just thinking of using liquid metal because I had some left over from a delid. I know it wouldn't make a big difference but It might let me shave a few rpm off the fans but I'll just go with kryonaut.

0 Likes

It's also much easier to resell a processor using something other than liquid metal too, since the cleanup takes all of 10 seconds.

0 Likes
burton1224
Journeyman III

Its not ment to be rude but this is not a correct answer even the 2200G is using copper with a nickel surface according to Gamers Nexus

0 Likes