cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

b00sted
Journeyman III

System Hard Lock

Just replaced the Motherboard, CPU and RAM in my rig. Performed a clean Windows 10 Pro x64 install. Installed the latest Chipset and GPU drivers from amd.com. I am experiencing hard locks of my system any time a setting in WattMan is changed (99% of the time with on desktop with Firefox open, possibly playing YT video, I have had one hard lock when in the menus of BF:V after alt+tabbing to desktop). This includes my reset and power button, causing me to shut the PC down using the PSU switch. The custom settings I had set are:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Limit (%): 50 (Who thought a percentage was a good indicator for this setting, default 0% doesn't make sense)

Minimum Acoustic Limit (MHz): 1450

Zero RPM: Off

[These settings were set on my previous build (FX-8350, 16GB DDR3, MSI 990FXA Gaming) based on advice found on this forum and corroborated else where on the net without issue on 12.9.3 (the driver was kept here because of the aforementioned screen freeze issue when installing anything higher (18.11.1, 18.12.2, etc.) and I had not found the HDCP fix yet (Also AMD, not sure what combo of the GPU/Active Adapters/Monitors cause this issue but it is independent of CPU, MoBo, RAM and as mentioned, started when installing anything higher than 18.9.3 on the RX580). These settings also stopped weird white/green artifact/static bars from appearing in full screen games on my right hand monitor.]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On next boot, I get a message from Radeon Settings stating: "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure". I have performed clean installs of all drivers 3-4 times now. My detailed setup info is as follows:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x470-F Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 2700x

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 (CL15)

GPU: XFX RX580 GTS Black Edition (8GB)

Drives: 2x WD Black NVMe 256GB, 1x Samsung 950 Evo 500GB SATA, 1x SanDisk 240GB SSD SATA, 1x random Seagate 2TB Mechanical

PSU: 1000w

CPU Cooler: RGB Wraith Spire

AMD Chipset Drivers: 18.10_1018, installed on fresh build (1st time booting windows), thereafter by booting into safe mode and running the AMD Cleanup Util

AMD Radeon: 18.12.2 (Custom settings: HDCP turned off for each display due to that awesome 1sec screen freeze every 15-30sec; custom performance monitoring folder location). Install performed on first time booting windows, after running DDU in safe mode (clean & restart) thereafter

Monitors: 3x Dell S2430Mc (2x connected with Active DP to DVI-D adapters DVI-D cables between adapter and monitor, 1x connected with straight DVI-D cable)

I have attached the problem report wizard output (with redacted personal info) and associated style sheet, screen shots of of the Overview, Software and Hardware tabs in the System section of Radeon Settings as well as a few performance logging files in CSV format. Please let me know if you would like any further info!

I'm sure something I'm doing is stupid, so please let me know that if so. I love my rig now and just want it to perform well ! Thanks for all the help in advance and Happy New Year!

0 Likes
0 Replies