shrekswfl

Thoughts on a build

Discussion created by shrekswfl on Dec 31, 2018

First time poster, Long time (ago) builder.

Wife has been bugging me for a new gaming rig, and I'm finally breaking down to build it. Being out of the build game for a number of years, I have been doing a LOT of reading. But nothing printed is a substitute for experience, so thought I would ask the experts. Below is my build proposal, and I am hesitant on a number of fronts, especially the MB. Lots of conflicting reviews on it. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Processor-AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x

Mainboard-MSI x399 MEG Creation

Lcs-TT Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360mm

Case-TT View 71 RGB

PSU-TT TPD-1200MPCG

RAM-Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8x8GB) PC4-23400

GPU-(2) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti- SC Hybrid edition

M.2- (2) Samsung 970 PRO 1TB

HDD-(4) Seagate IronWolf 7.2KRPM 10TB 3.5" (ST10000VN0004)

The system will be dual boot, between WIn 10 Pro (hers) and Linux (mine). I have nothing against Radeon cards, just no experience with them. I have preferred AMD cpus since the K6, and haven't done a consumer build in near two decades. My thought is to RAID 1 the M.2s, and RAID 5 the HDDs.

My reservations are:

(1) The MB has a lot of conflicting reviews-about stability, failures, issues with the TR2 series. That's part of why I am keeping the memory at 2933MHz.

(2) The MB calls for (2) 8-pin 12V connections, would the psu's 8-pin 12V EPS and 4+4-pin 12V ATX connectors meet this?

(3) Will the aluminum heat spreaders on the ram be enough, or do I need another cooling solution?

(4) I have that nagging feeling I am missing something.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Outcomes