cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zopzop
Journeyman III

Need help with my a8-7600 based PC.

I have a HP EliteDesk 705 G1 Desktop mini with the A8 PRO 7600B and this thing doesn't seem to be performing as it should in terms of games.  I realize this is an older apu and I'm not expecting to play AAA games in 1080p or anything. 

My system setup is as follows :

Windows 10 64bit (up to date)

AMD A8 PRO 7600B apu (the 65W version)

8GB 1666mhz RAM (2x4)

256GB 7200RPM HDD

I double checked everything that could be holding it back.  The RAM is in dual channel mode.  The power profile is "high performance."  All the drivers (especially the APU drivers) are up to date.  It's running cool and not overheating.  I downloaded and installed various PC inspection software like CPUZ/GPUZ and everything they report seems to coincide with what the specs should be according to AMD.

I ran various tests in the 3dmark suite and it seems my system is performing at HALF of what it should be.  For example, 3dmark Firestrike 1080p score should be 1414 but it's 707!

As a last resort, I downloaded AMD Overdrive and just messed around with some of the settings (the settings reset to default as soon as the pc is turned off so I could experiment a little).  Again nothing I did worked until I turned off Turbo Core Control.  I ran the Firestrike test again and got almost exactly the score that was expected  : 1389!

Can anyone explain why this is happening and help me?  I googled around and people recommended you enable Turbo Core Control if you don't overclock because that's what gets you the best performance, but in my case it's the exact opposite.  The annoying this is, as soon as I turn off/shut down the pc, when I turn it back on later the setting is reset and Turbo Core Control is enabled again.

0 Likes
4 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

Chances are it's because you are using an HP OEM motherboard and the system BIOS will not allow it.

Check with HP and see if they allow overclocking on your system.

0 Likes

That's the thing, turning off AMD Core Control speeds up my system immensely (it's literally 2 times faster with it off) even though I'm not overclocking at all.  But according to AMD itself, the opposite should happen.  AMD Core Control technology is for people who aren't overclocking (like me) to get the best performance possible but that's not happening in my case and I have no idea why.

If it wasn't for AMD Overdrive (that allows you to disable AMD Core Control technology) I'd have a useless gimped system.  I just want to know why AMD Core Control technology is crippling my pc.

0 Likes
kdgrayson
Journeyman III

I have experienced the same thing, if overclocked my baseline reduces, my best baseline was not overclocked, I have 12 gb memory that helped , I disabled my internal graphics, i cant make both work yet.

AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G

ATI AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 370 Series Graphics (ASUStek Computer Inc)

GIGABYTE COMPUTER.

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.

MOTHERBOARD  F2A88XM-D3HP (P0)

CPU, AMD A8-7600

Cores  4

Threads 4

Name         AMD A8-7600

Specification AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G

Code Name Kaveri

Package Socket  FM2+ (906)

Technology 28nm

Family F

Extended Family 15

Model 0

Extended Model 30

Stepping 1

Revision KV-A1

Instructions MMX (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4A, AMD 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, FMA3, FMA4

Virtualization Supported, Disabled

Hyperthreading Not supported

Fan Speed 4440  RPM

Bus Speed    99.8 MHz

Stock Core Speed  3100  MHz

Stock Bus Speed    100    MHz

Average Temperature 125 °F

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=113967204243

my best baseline ! 2035 !!

0 Likes

Can you do me a huge favor?  Can you please rerun the Passmark benchmark but use your IGPU instead of your dedicated video card?

0 Likes