Assuming your using win10x64
install these 18.5.1: Radeon™ RX 470 Previous Drivers | AMD
But first, use DDU in safe mode. Use Clean and Restart option
You might want to disconnect from the internet too. That would prevent windows from installing it's default driver.
In DDU's options the very last option will do the same.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I am using win 10x64.
Unfortunately it didn't work. Here is what I did for anyone else that may have this issue though (or in case I missed something):
1. Went into safe mode (Shift+Restart from start menu)
2. Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Start-up settings>Restart
3. F4 for Safe mode
4. Removed Internet cable
5. Started DDU and selected GPU Drivers (perhaps I did something wrong here???)
6. Selected Clean and Shutdown first time and Clean and restart second time
7. Manually deleted "AMD" folders on C Drive (second time)
8. Microsoft Basic Display Adapter was still showing in Devices manager (Uninstalled on second attempt)
9. Installed 18.5.1, having previously downloaded, ran as admin, with Devices Manager open on second go.
10. When 18.5.1 starts up, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is re-installed (assume it scans hardware and the MBDA is part of windows and not downloaded from the internet?)
11. Selected express install.
12. installed without issue, said driver installed fine with tick to confirm, but there is still a Code 43 error on Devices manager and when selecting Radeon Settings no driver installed (see below).
13. Shutdown and restarted, but no change.
I have tried this twice now :-(
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated, this is becoming very frustrating now!
It is definitely a Radeon RX470 8Gb Sapphire Nitro+ !!!!
Dag blam it!!! That should work.
If nobody else offers a solution...
Seeing as you've spent a lot of time on this already and the preferred fix isn't working...
Are you in to:
1) putting the gpu in another computer?
and if that works then
2) reinstalling your son's OS?
I just think we might be wasting precious fortnite time here if there's a problem with either the card or the OS install.