PowerColor - Radeon R9 390 8 GB PCS+ Video Card

Desktop

Windows 10 64bit  v.1809

2560x1440@144Hz DisplayPort

Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 v7.30

Intel 6600K

Thermaltake - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

16GB

Computer boots up with a blank screen when Windows loads, but displays fine before when it's at UEFI. Monitor power light is white (instead of orange for inactive).

Workaround is to swap through projector modes (winkey+P x 3 then enter) or going into sleep mode (power button or winkey+x then 'u' then 's') and waking. Display appears fine after that. There is a second monitor connected, and when main screen is blank, it isn't being routed to it instead which is as it should--this may be extra info.

I started having this issue recently--probably due by a Windows update or driver update. I felt due for a format, so I went ahead and did a fresh format OS install, and the issue returned upon fresh installation of drivers--actually, it seemed fine after installing the updated drivers for one reboot, and then I installed 'LGS_9.02.65_x64_Logitech' and it happened immediately following that. For context, I'm installing one set of drivers at a time and then doing a reboot.

Other display modes seem to be fine. It seems that only 2560x1440@144Hz doesn't work correctly at boot without messing with projector/sleep modes. For example, 1920x1080@144Hz works fine at boot.

The problem appears to go away when I uninstall 18.12.3 and let Windows Update install the version that they have which is 17.1.1

0 Likes
3 Replies
basdian
Journeyman III

I've had to update AMD drivers to play a game without it crashing, and I have this problem again. I'm going to buy another DisplayPort cable to try and give it a shot in the dark since I don't know what else to do, and disconnecting and reconnecting the cable seems to do the trick in the meantime, so maybe it could help. Still, I feel awkward about buying another cable in the wild hope that it'll fix this issue since driver versions directly controls if this issue comes up at all.

I'm using 19.1.1 at this moment.

EDIT: I'm swapping between drivers as needed. I also found that simply turning off the monitor and turning it on again gets things working.

0 Likes
basdian
Journeyman III

I noticed that the first boot after installing the 19.1.1 drivers has the screen booting fine (as noted on the first post), but now I know that it's a consistent thing for every first boot after swapping between driver installations. Every boot following the first on 19.1.1 gives me a blank screen. The monitor shows the white active light (as opposed to the orange inactive power light) when it's on the blank screen.

0 Likes
basdian
Journeyman III

Problems solved with 19.2.2

0 Likes