AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sapphire R9 390 Nitro 8GB w/Backplate - Blackscreens in 3D and 2D

Question asked by rispox on Dec 17, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 19, 2018 by rispox

Hey guys, these are my specs:

 

Sapphire R9 390 Nitro 8GB with backplate

Windows 10 64bit

Asus VX248

Asus Z-170 A

Intel i5 6600K

bequiet! pure power 10 600w

16GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz

 

I started getting blackscreens about 6 months ago. The blackscreens happen when im playing heavy 3D games like AC: Odyssey (not that often) but also when i play old games like Warcraft 3 or CS:GO in stretched 4:3 with low resolution (often). Im also getting blackscreens when im browsing in Firefox and watching Twitch-streams.

The blackscreen wont go away so i have to hold the power button for some seconds. I can not see my cursor or anything but im still in Teamspeak, able to both hear and speak.

I can sometimes reproduce the blackscreen by playing AC:Odyssey and alt-tabbing out of the game.

When i get a blackscreen once and restart my system the next one often happens seconds after my desktop is loaded.

 

Here is what i already tried to do:

- Changed my PSU from a Thermaltake Berlin 640W to bequiet! pure power 10 600W

- Used Memtest to check the RAM

- Used MSI Afterburner to check temperatures (max. 73°C in AC: Odyssey)

- Tried BIOS 3802 and 3703

- Clean installed AMD-drivers using DDU

- Tried many different drivers: 18.12.1, 18.10.1, 18.9.3, 18.7.1

- Disabled all energy saving/efficiency options in AMD-drivers

- Disable ULPS in MSI Afterburner and forced constant voltage

- Went from 1040/1500 to 1040/1400

- Used 1040/750 for 2D and 1040/1400 for 3D

- Used 1/2 cables from my PSU to support my GPU

- Used Clockblocker to stop the fluctuation from 150 to 1500Mhz

- Used the Sapphire-button to change the cards BIOS

- Flashed the cards BIOS to use the version for Hynix memory instead of stock Elpida (Hynix-version seems more stable until now)

- Enabled/disabled Intel HD Graphics

- Disabled automatic Windows updates

....... and some more things.

 

An interesting thing i found out yesterday was, that the RadeonSettings.exe stopped working in Windows reliability-report. I checked the task-manager and found that the exe.-file was stuck in a queue. After i fixed that, there are no more radeon-settings app-crashes in the report. In it's place there now appears a hardware-error (LiveKernelEvent; Code 144; Parameters: 3003; fffffd8cb25c25c8; 40010000; 0), aswell as a

Outcomes