AnsweredAssumed Answered

Ryzen 2600: I'm not sure if I overtightened my heatsink

Question asked by recaffeinated on Dec 14, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2018 by recaffeinated

Hi guys.

I feel like this is something that, as many computers as I've built, I'd have a better handle on by now but I guess not.  Recently threw together a Ryzen 5 machine with an RX 580 in it and I'm over the moon with it's performance so far.  I was watching a Linus Tech Tips video and he happened to warn the audience to *not* overtighten their CPU cooler, as this can cause motherboard damage.  That had me quite concerned, as when I installed the cooler a few days ago, I simply tightened the screws until they stopped turning with the same amount of force, and I assumed that this was some kind of anti-overtightening safeguard, but I can't find any confirmation of that online and I don't know if I should loosen my heatsink to prevent damage.

It's the inbox Wraith Stealth that came with the CPU, I've never liked a stock cooler before but this is impressive.  I should also probably mention it's the first time I've used a screw down cooler like that, all the ones I had before were usually clip-on or some other

Thanks for the help guys

Outcomes