Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

recaffeinated
Journeyman III

Ryzen 2600: I'm not sure if I overtightened my heatsink

Hi guys.

I feel like this is something that, as many computers as I've built, I'd have a better handle on by now but I guess not.  Recently threw together a Ryzen 5 machine with an RX 580 in it and I'm over the moon with it's performance so far.  I was watching a Linus Tech Tips video and he happened to warn the audience to *not* overtighten their CPU cooler, as this can cause motherboard damage.  That had me quite concerned, as when I installed the cooler a few days ago, I simply tightened the screws until they stopped turning with the same amount of force, and I assumed that this was some kind of anti-overtightening safeguard, but I can't find any confirmation of that online and I don't know if I should loosen my heatsink to prevent damage.

It's the inbox Wraith Stealth that came with the CPU, I've never liked a stock cooler before but this is impressive.  I should also probably mention it's the first time I've used a screw down cooler like that, all the ones I had before were usually clip-on or some other

Thanks for the help guys

0 Likes
1 Solution

most instructions on mounting the CPU Cooler mentions to turn the screws until they stop. As long as you didn't try to keep on tightening the screws once they stopped, you are okay. The CPU Cooler must have a tight full contact on the CPU to get the best efficiency in cooling the CPU. If you loosen the screws, it may cause heating problem with the CPU since the CPU Cooler is not making a tight contact on its surface.

If everything is working fine, that indicates the CPU Cooler is installed correctly and hasn't damaged the Motherboard. If the motherboard or CPU was damaged you would start having all types of strange symptoms.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

most instructions on mounting the CPU Cooler mentions to turn the screws until they stop. As long as you didn't try to keep on tightening the screws once they stopped, you are okay. The CPU Cooler must have a tight full contact on the CPU to get the best efficiency in cooling the CPU. If you loosen the screws, it may cause heating problem with the CPU since the CPU Cooler is not making a tight contact on its surface.

If everything is working fine, that indicates the CPU Cooler is installed correctly and hasn't damaged the Motherboard. If the motherboard or CPU was damaged you would start having all types of strange symptoms.

Basically it follows the same rules as any other screw, turn it until it stops. As long as you didn't really crank down on it after it stopped you're fine. Also, you would have notice bending and even cracking if you overtightened them. Between the metal backplate and heat spreader there's a fairly good margin for error.

recaffeinated
Journeyman III

Well that assuages my concern.  Thank you guys, I really appreciate it

0 Likes