ttru
Journeyman III

RX580 OC 8GB checkerboard pattern then loses power

My System:

• Graphics Card: RX580 OC 8GB
  • Platform: Desktop
  • Radeon driver: 18.9.3
  • Monitor: Dell S2715H HDMI connection @60Hz 2930x1080
  • Motherboard: AMD Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3, Bios Revision F23d (4/17/2018)
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W
  • RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 2666

Describe your issue:

Hello community,

Recently, I have been experiencing a checkerboard pattern periodically while using my system.  It freezes my screen with this checkerboard pattern and seconds later the graphics card loses power. The monitor is powered but doesn't detect the graphics card and my PC is still running. I've checked all cables and they seem secure.

I do not overclock my GPU and this happens at random and not always when I am gaming. The temperature of the card seems normal I have not seen it overheat.

I cannot reproduce this issue but I think it may have to do with putting my PC to sleep every night. I've been powering it off manually nightly and I haven't seen the issue since.

The issue is not related to a game because I was looking at photos and it also happened. I did notice it happen while I was playing league of legends and alt-tabbed back and forth to desktop. I do not overclock my GPU and the temperature seems normal. I have done some homework and it looks like it could be a power issue or corrupted memory on the card.

I cannot test this card in another motherboard. Are there diagnostics I can run on the card from my PC? Perhaps my power supply has another connection I can use to power the card which I can test to rule out the power supply.

I have experienced blue screens mutually exclusive of the checkerboard pattern/ GPU failure:

12/5 - VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (cause: GPU or driver related)

11/9 - FAULTY HARDWARE CORRUPTED PAGE  (cause: device drivers is incorrectly configured, outdated or corrupted.)

8/29 - MEMORY MANAGEMENT (cause: OS memory or GPU memory?)

The card is under warranty and I can RMA it but am reluctant because without this card my PC is without a video connection. I am not keen on the idea of being without a PC for 3-10 weeks.

Appreciate any insight or assistance.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Likes
2 Replies
grimbloodwolf
Adept III

I disabled sleep mode long ago because it's only ever caused me problems in Windows 10, and it didn't seem to matter what GPU was in the system..... you might want to just start shutting your PC down every night, or just leaving it run and turn off the monitor(the 2nd is what I do)..... see if that solves your issue.
If that doesn't do the trick, in a way it seems like what you're experiencing is similar to what I've experienced when overclocking the VRAM too high, the "checkerboard" artifacts are usually associated with unstable VRAM.... it could be that your card has the VRAM factory overclocked and the VRAM chips aren't quite up to the task......you might try underclocking your VRAM a bit and see if that solves the issue.

0 Likes
ttru
Journeyman III

Yes, I have been not using sleep mode and it didn't appear until this evening. I was playing "The Long Dark," monitor went checkerboard for a second and monitor goes black. Monitor and PC are powered and working just no visuals. Fans are spinning on GPU so it is getting power. I've dropped memory and GPU sliders to minimum. I'll see if that does anything.

Thanks.

0 Likes