AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G clock_watchdog_timeout error

Question asked by misu on Dec 10, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 14, 2019 by misu

Hi everyone,

I experience some problems with a brand new PC based on Ryzen 5 2400G CPU. This is my configuration:

- Mainboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (BIOS upgraded from version F1 to F3d)

- CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with AMD Vega video

- Memory: Kingston 2 x 4 GB DDR4 2666 Mhz

- System drive: Kingston UV500 SSD, 240 GB (M.2 socket)

- Storage drive: Seagate Barracuda Guardian 1 TB HDD, SATA3

- ODD: LG DVD-RW (SATA)

I upgaded mainboard BIOS to the latest version, I tried different settings in BIOS (some of them recommended on this forum).

Memory was tested with MemTest 86 many times. No errors.

I installed Windows 10 (4-5 times) and different versions of chipset driver (including the driver from mainboard CD and the latest stable version) and I want to install Windows updates.

The computer randomly freeze (is necessary to push "Reset" button) or display BSoD with "clock_watchdog_timeout" error message and reset.

According to Microsoft, the problem might occur due to any hardware issues, but especially due to CPU cores / threads issues:

"This problem might occur due to any hardware issues. The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error means that your processor is having trouble with cooperation from its cores and threads. Threads are tasks taken by cores, and some cores can take many threads simultaneously. The problem here is that a thread is waiting for a proper response from another thread — or a core is waiting for a response from another core — and those responses aren’t coming.

Therefore, you get this BSoD error. While this is a processor problem, this can be caused by two things: a driver error, which is very likely if you’re using Windows 10, or the OS itself isn’t playing nice with the processor."

How how can I convince the OS to "play nice with the processor"?

The processor can be damaged? There is a compatibility issue?

There is somebody with a good idea about this problem?

Outcomes