4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2018 6:51 AM by billy72

Can't get RX 590 to run on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.1 with amd-gpu-pro 18.40

nd7pszmc

Hello, On a fresh install of Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.1 with amdgpu-pro 18.40 (Radeon™ Software for Linux® 18.40 Highlights | AMD) I can't get an RX 590 to run even though the "Product Family Compatibility" claims support for the RX 590 series. the computer boots to a purple screen, then the GPU revs up to full fan speed, then the GPU fan speed goes back to normal, then the screen turns and stays black.

The same system runs fine with an RX 470

I tested the RX 590 on Windows 10 to confirm that the issue isn't with the GPU and it seems to run without issue on Windows 10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Re: Can't get RX 590 to run on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.1 with amd-gpu-pro 18.40
          alec6

Hello,

Got the same problem. I just install RX 590 and amdgpu-pro 18.40 driver, Ubuntu start then the screen turn black and i can't do anything just reboot.

I don't have the problem on Windows 10.

Untilthis problem was fixed i have found a temporary solution, into the grub menu select advanced boot option and select Ubuntu XXX (recovery mode) and after resume startup.

Hope this can help you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            justwonder

Same problem with RX580 on Ubuntu 18.04. I had to uninstall amdgpu-pro (18.40) and use the Radeon driver that comes with Ubuntu. Since I need to run OpenCL, I installed amdgpu-pro again with headless mode and it worked. So it looks to me the display driver part doesn't work.

nikkuz

Not sure this is applicable... AFAIK, AMDGPU pro uses same kernel module as AMDGPU without pro (which use MESA to implement OpenGL & Vulkan), so it should be.

That kernel module has issues with 590, at least with some OEM versions. There are number of patches which intended to fix this, but they are in testing now. You can partially fix this, you will be able to boot and work, but videocard will not boost, so performance will be times less than has to be.

With opensource driver you can do this by adding amdgpu.dpm=0 to linux image command line. Amdgpu pro kernel module may have another name.

billy72

Hi nd7pszmc

Based on my experience with Sapphire Pulse RX 580 | Ubuntu 18.04.1 (totally upgraded) | AMD Drivers 18.40 for Linux all works as expected.

If we go to the link shared for you we can see another link for installation instructions

Screenshot from 2018-12-09 13-17-38.png

and clicking on it we will get there to  Radeon™ Software for Linux® Installation webpage

Screenshot from 2018-12-09 13-44-01.png

and we can see in Overview the Stack Variants

StackVariants.png

It means that you are trying to install the driver designed for Pro GPUs (FirePro or Radeon Pro) in your system with GPU for Gaming or Entertainment purposes.

Please type on terminal amdgpu-pro-uninstall , reboot and type sudo ./amdgpu-install --opencl=legacy (for openCL support for Polaris chips based GPU,s)