4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 8:23 AM by saywhut

ESXi twinz

saywhut

Description

Not really a rig showcase, but I figured it's worth for a post.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Changing focus from Microsoft to VMware so I decided to build 2 identical white boxes for lab work. Best of all, they are using AMD Ryzen chips!
      -----------------------------------------------------------

Everything up and running. Kudos to Andreas Peetz for creating VMware Front Experience: ESXi-Customizer-PS. Without this gem I would of had a real difficult time getting the lab going so thank you!

Lab_1.jpg

amd_ryzen_processor_with_radeon_vega_graphics_die_shot.jpg

Lab_2.jpg

Specifications

CPUAMD Ryzen 3 2200G
      CoolerStock
      MotherboardGIGABYTE B450M DS3H
      Memory(20GB total RAM @ 2400mhz for each node) XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 --==&==-- GeIL Pristine 4GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
      GraphicsVega 8 IGP
      Disc Drive 1Team Group L5 LITE 3D 2.5" 120GB SSD (1 node)
      Disc Drive 2Silicon Power 128GB SSD (1 node)
      Disc Drive 3N/A
      PSUEVGA 450 BT, 80+ Bronze 450W
      CaseThermaltake Versa H15 SPCC Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Chassis
      MonitorN/A
        • Re: ESXi twinz
          jamesc359

That's an interesting RAM configuration, and by interesting I mean unusual. Personally I've always had negative experiences when mixing ram types/speeds. At worst it was random crashes, at best it was performance issues. I don't mean to sound like I'm criticizing, but I do have to wonder if you've found the extra 4GB to be worthwhile. Also do you mind if I inquire as to what kind of lab work you're doing with them?

Thanks for sharing. :-)

saywhut

Yeah the RAM is interesting.  I am more concerned about capacity than speed.  After all, this is a lab environment so I am not concerned at all about performance.  It did POST and booted up even with that odd configuration so I stayed with it.

I have both of them running ESXI 6.5 and I am using vCenter to manage both so I am learning how vMotiong, DRS, etc... works.

jamesc359

Oh, so large scale virtual server deployment with load balancing then? It makes sense that RAM capacity would be more important than speed then. Shifting hosts from one server to the next must use up a lot of bandwidth. Will you be upgrading to SFP in the future or do you believe the dual NICs you've got now is fast enough?

saywhut

I wouldn't say large, it's just to get the concepts down.  I have 1 NIC for host management, 1 for iSCSI to my backend NAS which has 2 LUNs, and 1 for vMotion.  1Gb speed is a bit slow for vMotion but gets the job done for what I am using it.  Definitely not recommended in a live environment.