5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 12:07 AM by ajlueke

Why I love Ryzen (and liquid cooling)

black_zion

I wish I had a video of my old Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor with my Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and the gigantic Delta fan I used on it that sounded like a 737 at full tilt to use as a comparison (70dB is quite loud), but this is what I hear whenever my CPU is at 50 degrees or under. Now, my phone is literally leaning up against my computer case (Corsair C70) with two 120mm fans about 2 inches away, but this is what I hear, though a bit quieter since I sit about 2 feet from my tower. In the background you can hear my television, which is at 7% volume, and about 12 feet away. The flashing orange light is the onboard HDD activity light. As for liquid cooling, this is why I will always prefer it over air. It's whisper quiet! And CPU temp is 30*C. A CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo and a pair of fans may do the job, but a closed loop liquid cooler will also keep it quiet, and why I always recommend liquid over air. It may be twice as expensive, but as they say, silence is golden.

Well that, and the fact that Ryzen isn't a 28nm (or, in the case of the 6000+, 90nm) antique.

• Re: Why I love Ryzen (and liquid cooling)
          qwixt

I am not a fan of water cooling because I don't want to worry about pump failures, leakage, etc... I typically get a big case to handle huge heatsinks like Noctua DH-15 or Thermalright Le Grand Macho (my current one). Both are very quiet. Even if the fans fail on these things, you still get quite a bit of cooling.

Compared to water cooling, you must be prepared to accept that

- You can't run stuff like prime indefinitely without thermal throttling.

- You must settle for lower overclock.

This is especially true for higher core count CPUs. I went with 8700k (don't flog me for it I didn't feel like dealing with Ryzen 1's high speed memory lottery) and it's very rare that anything can push thermals to 65C, usually the temps are in the 50s.

With all that said, I do agree that a custom closed loop system where you can add the GPU is extremely tempting. I also think water cooling makes the most sense for anything with 8 cores or more.

black_zion

That's why I went closed loop with my Corsair H115i, sealed so there's no leaks, and if there somehow is a leak, and the non-conductive fluid causes a component to be damaged, their warranty covers components damaged by leakage. I'm not big on GPU watercooling on an open loop, both because of the expensive of an open cooler setup, but also because you void your warranty. I do love the idea of a closed loop liquid cooler on them though, but the board partner's custom coolers usually do a great job both acoustically and thermally.

billy72

I'm a hardware enthusiast, I'm not an OCer and my performance needs never demand 100% of my 2700X, but I love silence and my Kraken X62 allows me to enjoy it. The temperature during idle state ranges between 25º↔35º in my room with ambient temp around 20º, when increases the workload liquid temperature does not exceed 35º allowing the pump to stay at 60% -2155rpm and the fans at 25% -485rpm both in silent mode (minimum default values applied by NZXT) maintaining the processor temperature up to 75º inside of my Fractal Design R5 Black with 4 x 140mm intake fans (2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM + 2 x Fractal GP14) and 1 x 140mm exhaust fan (1 x GP14) all running around 350rpm, allowing me to keep silence and cooling at the same time

Yes!! ... I love too Ryzen and liquid cooling

noodles59

I am on a Floe Riing 360 since a few weeks - here my thought:

The Good - under idle/load CPU temps are much better than Fan.. usually at least 10C better.
                Running LinpackXtreme and IntelBurn concurrently keeps CPU at ~40C

however..

living in a hot country room temps can easily exceed 30C (summer) and the radiator's heat dissipation, especially under load, is much higher than fan hence room temp is climbing quickly - bit of a shot-in-the-foot situation when room temps are high!

ajlueke

Monster Labo

Silent as it gets!

1 of 1 people found this helpful