cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

packhntr
Journeyman III

cannot get cards to talk to the TV

Good morning all.  I have just upgraded my desktop from a pair of Radeon 6970 cards to a pair of RX580s.  I also upgraded to a nice 32" LG monitor with Freesync.  I was using a 40" Samsung tv, but after a while it would start to hurt my eyes.  The system works very well!  Excellent picture, great for gaming!  I am having an issue with the cards not talking to the TV.  I want to still use the TV (relocated to a wall mount) to watch Netflix.  I was using a DVI-I to VGA cable with the old 6970 cards, but the cable will not work with the new RX580 cards...they have DVI-D and Display Port.  I purchased a DVI-I to Display Port adapter and nothing.  I checked the software to detect secondary display and it does not find the TV.  Not certain if I should get a Display Port to VGA or a DVI-D to VGA.  The TV has HDMI ports as well, but their audio cuts out frequently, hense the use of the VGA port.  Ideas?

0 Likes
4 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello packhntr,

The video card DVI out cannot up convert to a monitor DP in using some adapters.  Those adapters should be able to do the opposite however, connect the DP out on the video card to a DVI-D on the monitor (if that is possible).

Beyond that, you can connect the DVI-D of the video card to an HDMI port on the monitor.  The signal is identical, you just won't be able to pass any audio, but since you were already using VGA I imagine that is not an issue.

I will pick up a DVI-D to HDMI cable and try that.  And yeah, audio isn't an issue as I am using a Logitec 505 setup.  Thanks!

0 Likes

I would suggest to purchase an ACTIVE Adapter which converts the DVI-D/HDMI/DP signal to VGA before reaching the Television or Monitor

Try changing to a higher quality HDMI 2.0 cable from the RX to your Television. Many times the HDMI cable that comes with the Television works better than a 3rd party HDMI cable.

In my opinion, HDMI is much superior than using VGA.

For sure.  VGA is still an analog signal, that would need to be converted from a digital source (DVI).  You can get color mapping/image scaling issues and a host of other problems.

DVI to HDMI however is the identical signal and requires no adapters, just a cable with the respective ends.  DVI doesn't have the pins to port the audio signal however, so that is always lost.