AnsweredAssumed Answered

atikmdag.sys BSOD!!!

Question asked by p3d.rokk on Nov 15, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2018 by elstaci

Hardware;

APU : AMD A4 3300 with HD6480G

GPU: AMD HD6750M

RAM:3gb

(Yes, it's an old Laptop but for me it's enough)

What happened before;

-I overclocked the GPU a few months ago.
-I started getting a message saying that HardDisk is in trouble.
-Windows has corrupted itself during an update. But it continued to work even though some applications did not open anymore.

-I can no longer do any Windows updates due to this corruption.

What happened during:

I was working on a DirectX 11 application and suddenly the screen froze. I waited a little bit to see if it was working again and since it did not come back, I held the power off button and restarted it.

-When I rebooted, BSOD showed up.

What I have now;

-The laptop has become completely useless.

I uninstalled the drivers, because versions 14.9, 15.2, 15.3 did not work and every time I install the drivers the BSOD appears. The latest version available for my APU is 15.2 and for GPU it is 15.3.

-I needed to reduce the CPU clock, because when the GPU is uninstalled it keeps running to the maximum making the laptop overheat.

-I can not use any DirectX application which is the only thing I need before buying another computer.

I have found no way to make dedicated and integrated GPUs work independently. The two need to be working, otherwise Windows uses the "Basic Display Driver".

What I tried to do;

-I tried installing several versions of the driver. BSOD in all cases. The drivers were downloaded on Windows Update and AMD page.

-At all times I used DDU to uninstall the drivers.

-I tried the "expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys" thing.  Windows doesn't recognized the drivers.

-I tried to reset the Windows. It did not work because of corrupted system files.

-I tried to restore windows. It did not work and I do not know why.

What I want to know;

-If this is a driver corruption problem, is there anything I have not tried yet?

-If this is a hardware problem, how can I identify which part was damaged?

-The GPU continues to "work" when it is uninstalled making the computer warm up. This is a good sign?

-If the problem is in the GPU integrated to the APU, how can I use only the dedicated GPU?

-If the problem is with the dedicated GPU, can you use only the graphics of the APU?

What I need now;

- That a DirectX application will work until I buy a new PC.

What I can not do;

-Lose all files stored on HardDisk.

Outcomes