4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2018 12:56 PM by syd

AMDGPU-PRO : OpenCL issue and system freeze in games

syd

Hi, I'm having multiple issues with AMDGPU-PRO.

Blender 2.79b (Cycles) crashes instantly after having loaded the render kernels, when using displacements and rendering on the GPU.

blender --debug-gpu outputs this when the crash happens:

Device init success

GL shader compiler other: LLVM diagnostic (remark): <unknown>:0:0: 16 instructions in function

blender: /build/blender-UBljLx/blender-2.79.b+dfsg0/intern/cycles/device/opencl/opencl_base.cpp:504: virtual void ccl::OpenCLDeviceBase::tex_alloc(const char*, ccl::device_memory&, ccl::InterpolationType, ccl::ExtensionType): Assertion `mem_map.find(name) == mem_map.end()' failed.

Aborted (core dumped)

Video available here: https://youtu.be/DpGHtuE15fo

I've attached a .blend file. Just press F12 or render in viewport.

I've also submitted a bug report with more information and a test file available here ⚓ T57832 Linux, 2.79b Cycles : Crash when GPU rendering (OpenCL) and using displacements

I know it might be related to Blender itself, but this doesn't happen on Windows. So I thought it could be also be explained by the driver on linux. Blender also crashes randomly when loading textures, or changing shader values on a big asset and using GPU rendering in the viewport at the same time (also doesn't happen on windows).

The other issue I have is with games. Some games (such as Dirt Rally, Rust) freezes the entire system after loading. I can't even change my tty on Ubuntu and I need to press the restart button.

This does not happen with the opensource amdgpu driver (mesa 18.0.5), or by simply installing the OpenCL part of AMDGPU-PRO (mesa 18.1.0-rc4). Is AMDGPU-PRO 18.40 broken?

Any way to use OpenCL and play games without crashes in Linux?

System Information:

AMD Ryzen 1600X

Vega 64

16GB RAM

AB350M-Pro4

Ubuntu 18.04, Linux 4.15.0-39

OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.13540 Core Profile Context 18.40.2.15 with AMDGPU-PRO 18.40

clinfo outputs:

https://pastebin.com/uiuqt0p2