AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Drivers not installing correctly and running out of options

Question asked by mcremnant on Nov 6, 2018

I'm going to try to be very through in explaining this because it's been a long week for me.  I bought a R7 370 off of a friend to upgrade from my HD 7850.  I installed the updated drivers (I always kept my HD 7850 installed with 17.2.1 because it was the only build I got stable Overwatch) and card and it didn't work, wouldn't even go to the BIOS.  I figured that the card got damaged in transport.  So I reinstalled my HD 7850 and it worked fine, until I logged into Overwatch and played a match.  It crashed, like I was used to before going back to 17.2.1.  So I tried to uninstall the drivers and it crashed again.  This time, it didn't come back.  It would just show a black screen after launch.

So I went into Safe Mode and used DDU to uninstall the drivers.  When I tried to reinstall 17.2.1, the screen flickered like normal when installing video drivers, but it never came back after a couple flickers.  I've gone through this over a dozen times, trying new things every time.

I have tried -

• 4 different drivers, 16.11.5, 17.2.1, 18.9.3, and 18.10.2
  • Installing the drivers with the monitor plugged into HDMI, DVI, and Mini DisplayPort (DVI and Mini DisplayPort using adapters)
  • Unpacked the drivers and tried to install them separately from the rest using Device Manager, both in regular and safe mode.
  • Replacing the power supply
  • Tried two different monitors.
  • Let the install sit for 8 hours to see if it was a very long stutter (I was getting desperate)
  • Reinstalled Windows 10

Still nothing.  In Safe Mode, it says the drivers are installed and it is recognized by Windows, but the actual AMD Adrenalin or Crimson won't install.  Can I install Adrenalin or Crimson without the drivers?  Or is there something else I'm missing?  I'm thinking about getting a new card and I don't think I can get a Radeon because of this.

My computer stats are -

CPU - AMD Ryzen 1800x

MOBO - ASUS Prime B350 Plus

GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7850 Ghost

RAM - 8GB G.Skill Aegis 2400

PSU - eVGA 750W

OS - Windows 10 64-Bit

Outcomes