AnsweredAssumed Answered

Looking for help with RX580 Crossfire

Question asked by kleetz on Nov 6, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 9, 2018 by kleetz

This is a cross post from Reddit, but I can't seem to get an answer to my question. I tried to be as detailed as possible below:

Computer Type: Desktop PC

GPU: Sapphire Pulse 8GB (crossfire) Micron Memory

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: ASUS Prime x470-Pro

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000 CMW16GX4M2C3000C15W

PSU: EVGA G2 850W

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 (lastest)

GPU Drivers: Adrenalin Edition 18.10.2 Optional

Chipset Drivers: 18.10.1810

Background Applications: MSI Afterburner & Heaven

Description of Original Problem: I purchased a second used 8GB Pulse (off of a miner). It came yesterday so I took my current Pulse out and threw in the newly purchased card just to see what kind of OC it can handle. I first ran Heaven at stock clocks and immediately noticed it couldn't hold the stock 1366MHz – After a few seconds it would fall to about ~1100MHz. I tried to give it a bit more power, but that resulted in a black screen crash where the fans would go to 100% and I needed to restart. Furthermore, any sort of overclock on core or mem would also result in the black screen crash regardless of how much power I gave it. It also has a really loud coil whine.

Thought I'd try crossfire regardless. After the drivers installed, I opened up Afterburner and was kinda surprised to see that the core clock was set to 680MHz and the memory clock at 1750MHz. I tried to do some over clocking and was able to get it stable at 950MHz core, 1750MHz mem, +30% power limit, and +51 mV. Tried to go higher on the core clock and it froze and crashed.

---

Troubleshooting: Knowing that it was used for mining, I figured the BIOS was flashed. So I flashed a stock BIOS onto the used card. Ran tests again, but still got crashing with any sort of OC and still got throttled clocks running stock.

---

My question is this: Is the 680MHz core clock and 1750MHz memory clock a normal starting point if you're doing crossfire or should the clocks be what they are when there's only one card (1366MHz core and 2000MHz mem)? Any other help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know people don't like Crossfire, but I really want to give it a go.

If you need anymore info, please let me know!

Outcomes