17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2018 2:44 PM by zelda412

RX480 memory clock stays at 2000 mhz

magicool

I noticed with 18.9.1 still installed my memory clock always stayed at 2000 mhz.

I did a reset in the Radeon Settings and Wattman but it still stayed at 2000 mhz all the time, it used to go down to 300 mhz when idle.

I then uninstalled all AMD drivers, cleaned up with DDU and installed 18.10.2 plus chipset drivers and the issue still persists.

Did resets in WattMan with 18.10.2 as well but memory clock always stays at 2000 mhz.

Is this a known issue?

Any other ideas?

OS Win 10 64bit

• Re: RX480 memory clock stays at 2000 mhz
          Hardwood

magicool wrote:

Is this a known issue?

OS Win 10 64bit

Do you have more than one monitor connected and turned on?

magicool

Yes I do

here is a DxDiag attached

Hardwood

magicool wrote:

Yes I do

It's normal then. If you turn off/disable one monitor the memory speed will drop.

I've had AMD gpus for years and they've always been like that.

One of the AMD  guys on here explained it a year or two ago. If I can find it I'll post the link.

Found one from AMD staff. I know there's more if you search: R9 380 memory speed maxed out when idle

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      magicool

hmm that's weird like zelda412 said it that wasn't always the case.

Must have started 18.6.1/ .7.1/ .81 for me beause I for sure remember earlier this year the VRAM clock dropping to 300 mhz in idle.

But ok if it's expetected behaviour then I guess it's fine.

I might try to install 18.5.X and see if it doesn't occour on that.

zelda412

magicool a écrit:

Must have started 18.6.1/ .7.1/ .81 for me beause I for sure remember earlier this year the VRAM clock dropping to 300 mhz in idle.

You have to.

Actually I just want to wait until it's resolved because it doesn't bother me from the moment that I can play some games properly, until now.

Hardwood

One difference might be I don't use wattman. I'm an afterburner guy. And are you sure there's no program accessing the gpu for hardware acceleration etc..

I KNOW this is the usual behaviour for many many generations of AMD GPUs.

On the RX580 I have 3 monitors connected and on standby. Until I let windows extend/duplicate/set eyefinity the memclock stays at 300 when desktop/idling.

I currently have 2 computers with extra monitors on the go, one with an old 5870 and this one with the ASUS 580. Same thing on both.

Anyhow, the option is there to disable wattman (Radeon Settings return to defaults option) and use Afterburner or maybe even nothing (for a bit).

zelda412

Hardwood a écrit:

One difference might be I don't use wattman. I'm an afterburner guy. And are you sure there's no program accessing the gpu for hardware acceleration etc..

I KNOW this is the usual behaviour for many many generations of AMD GPUs.

On the RX580 I have 3 monitors connected and on standby. Until I let windows extend/duplicate/set eyefinity the memclock stays at 300 when desktop/idling.

I currently have 2 computers with extra monitors on the go, one with an old 5870 and this one with the ASUS 580. Same thing on both.

Anyhow, the option is there to disable wattman (Radeon Settings return to defaults option) and use Afterburner or maybe even nothing (for a bit).

Firstly, I did check and disable hardware acceleration on Windows 10, as you can see on my story => https://community.amd.com/message/2881578#comment-2881578

Secondly, I don't know what kind of program can access the gpu hardware acceleration (VLC maybe ? It's automatic in that case, but what else ?).

Hardwood

zelda412 wrote:

Firstly, I did check and disable hardware acceleration on Windows 10, as you can see on my story => https://community.amd.com/message/2881578#comment-2881578

Secondly, I don't know what kind of program can access the gpu hardware acceleration (VLC maybe ? It's automatic in that case, but what else ?).

I don't know of any other either so just disable wattman and see if there's a difference.

And FWIW, because of the bug I mentioned in your other thread and where I already mentioned to disable wattman, I still use 18.3.4

Regarding VLC it does not effect memclock with music but it will with a video (goes to 1000). With a game it goes to 2000.

billy72

Hi zelda412

I do not have the answers for you, but I want to share my current experience with Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8Gb 11265-05 | 18.5.1 Driver | Windows 10 1809 and Samsung 4K TV

RX3.PNG

RX2.PNG

RX1.PNG

I do not know if this is useful for you, but with my scenario the VRAM behaves as expected

I hope this helps you compare with other configurations in your system and find your answers

Regards

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                            zelda412

billy72 a écrit:

Hi zelda412

I do not have the answers for you, but I want to share my current experience with Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8Gb 11265-05 | 18.5.1 Driver | Windows 10 1809 and Samsung 4K TV

RX3.PNG

RX2.PNG

RX1.PNG

I do not know if this is useful for you, but with my scenario the VRAM behaves as expected

I hope this helps you compare with other configurations in your system and find your answers

Regards

Okay, this is the part of the answer. So we can say that even if the core clock is at high level, the memory clock is in normal mode, you have not the issue I and the others mentionned it. That's the case if we closely check on the temperature (33 °c, while I have between 50 and 53 °c with both high memory and core clock).

Apart from that, I have the same Windows version than you (v1809), I already have the issue on my RX 580 ROG STRIX from ASUS, however.

billy72

it's just a little intuition:

I have observed the same behavior in other AMD GPUs when the screen or screens require performance that ''is out of the ordinary'', allow me to recommend you that focus all your attention on the Control Panel of your screen starting by restoring all of your configuration options to default, it  may be there the key of your answer ..... or not

zelda412

billy72 a écrit:

it's just a little intuition:

I have observed the same behavior in other AMD GPUs when the screen or screens require performance that ''is out of the ordinary'', allow me to recommend you that focus all your attention on the Control Panel of your screen starting by restoring all of your configuration options to default, it may be there the key of your answer ..... or not

Wait, what do you mean by "by restoring all of your configuration options to default"?

zelda412

magicool a écrit:

So, have you uninstalled the previous driver (18.5.X) yet?

Le us know when you have done!

zelda412

Hardwood a écrit:

magicool wrote:

Yes I do

It's normal then. If you turn off/disable one monitor the memory speed will drop.

I've had AMD gpus for years and they've always been like that.

One of the AMD guys on here explained it a year or two ago. If I can find it I'll post the link.

Found one from AMD staff. I know there's more if you search: R9 380 memory speed maxed out when idle

I can say that is not the problem, because I have only one monitor connected to my PC in DisplayPort. (I did the procedure on Windows 10 => Settings -> Display -> Detet => "Only one monitor")

So the problem is somewhere else, even If I'm pretty sure that it comes from the driver.

Not to mention that it exist on RX vega series since 18.9.3 or before that, but why not for RX 580 or RX 500 series?

zelda412

You can check the full story about that because I have the same issue than you for my RX 580 ROG STRIX from Asus. I have the latest driver => 18.10.2 beta edition.

https://community.amd.com/message/2877444?q=RX%20580

On my side, I would say that is the problem of the driver since 18.7.1, before that, no high memory and clock, even at idle mode.

"Is this a known issue?"

At the time I'm writting, it has not been considered as a known issue by AMD. Not at all!

Maybe we just have to wait until AMD rolls out the recommended driver in December (not sure it will come out in November except surprise).