3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2018 12:26 PM by klhender

Motherboard for Ryzen 5

klhender

I’m upgrading my first homebuilt system. I put this thing together 7-8 years ago and it has served me well until the last 12-18 months. I recently retired with lots more free time I’ve started the research to upgrade my system.

I admit to not being a huge gamer, but - I play and (it goes without saying) the grandkids love it. I want a solid CPU so I decided to upgrade to an ADM Ryzen 2600/2600X and am trying to decide between the following 3 motherboards:

1. 1.   ASUS Rog Strix X470-F Gaming
      2. 2.   asRock X470 Taichi
      3. 3.   ASAU Crosshair VI Hero

I’ll purchase new Ram (16g), maybe a new power supply (if needed), a new video card and whatever I need, but there’s no need to get more then I’ll use. I prefer to tinker more than gameplay but I do need it for some light consulting, music and video work.

Any advice is welcome and I’m having a blast with this rebuild.

• Re: Motherboard for Ryzen 5
          black_zion

Honestly I'd pay a little more ($50) and step up to the ASUS Crosshair VII Hero, as the X470 chipset does have additional features over the X370, such as improved precision boost overdrive, plus being newer it is likely to have more and faster BIOS updates to improve performance compared to the Crosshair VI.

billy72

Hi klhender

I'm agree with black_zion, having the X470 chipset you make sure you have the latest improvements in Ryzen Platform, if you decide for ASUS Crosshair VI you must keep in mind that the store where you buy offer the possibility to upgrade to the latest version of BIOS to support the 2nd Gen of Ryzen, if it is not this way you will need a 1st Gen Ryzen CPU to be able to update the BIOS and support 2600 / 2600X.

I'm not a owner of any this models but IMHO I think all are excellent motherboards.

klhender

Very Interesting – as I look at replies from black_zion and billy72 I had to sort of put them together to see their light. Black_zion wants me to save time down the road by “getting the latest X470 Bios” now and I have no problem with that.

Billy72 agrees with black_zion and reminds me of the possible inconvenience of a bios upgrade. Taken together, their ideas seem to validate the purchase of the X470 vs. X350 motherboard for my project.

I accept and agree with their conclusions and plan to drop the ASUS X350 motherboard from my rebuild project if the Micro Center package does not come with the newest X470 bios upgrade.

Now, I seem to be ready to settle between the ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming and the asRock X470 Taichi. I feel that the Taichi might own a slight advantage at the moment.

Thanks Guys,