AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX 480 fan going crazy

Question asked by cimerea on Nov 4, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 6, 2018 by cimerea

Hello.

I got me a MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G about two years ago. I'm generally happy with the choice, but lately I've been having this wierd fan issue.

While playing certain games the fan will go to 2400 rpm no matter the temp of the card. After closing said game, fan will not turn off but reduce spinning speed very very slowly, and after 5-10 mins it will finally turn off but the temp reported by WattMan will be in the 20-ies by then. It was bugging me, cause it's pretty loud when you're not playing anything, but it turned out that if I reset the WattMan profile to it's defaults, the fans will stop.

From a few tests I ran I noticed fans start to go crazy when temp reaches 68*C, while games that don't experience this issue never go over 65*C. Which in itself is a little odd, since I run the card on default settings (auto puts temp curve at 73/90*C (target/max), rpm 522/2400 (min/target)). What's also strange about it is that the temp, while fans run at 2400, goes down to 56-57*C but the card doesn't mind and still runs them as fast as it can (peak fan speed up till now - 2438), like it's trying to disregard the limit.

The issue became noticable a few driver versions ago. Maybe cause before that I played games that would make high GPU usage and fast fans reasonable (Witcher 3 to be exact). I was at Adrenaline 18.9.3 when I decided to do something about it, but the issue was there even before I updated the drives to that ver. I always installed my drives using "clean" option in the AMD Settings app. Earlier today I used DDU to remove the driver entirely and installed the last recommended ver.: 18.5.1 but it did nothing.

Also before I decided to fight this thing, I was running the card on the factory bios. Thinking some settings there got outdated in the last 2 years I visited MSI forum and asked for the newest version, which I flashed later, Still nothing.

I use no card management apps other than WattMan, cause 2 years ago, when the drivers were still messy (like they aren't right now ;p) the conflicts two apps generated were rather major.

I also use default WattMan settings cause the ... thing resets them on a whim or if someone breathes too loudly, so why bother. In short - no OC, no UV, no manual temp curve or fan control.

The games that generate the issue are pretty random. Witcher 3 on 2K and high settings didn't raise my suspicion, but 7 Days to Die, Thea: the Awakening or Eador: Masters of the Broken World are strange, especially the last two. The games that don't spawn the issue are among others: League of Legends, Civilization V.

I run all my games in 2k, 144Hz and highest settings suggested by the game, both those with the issue and those without.

I'd love to do something about it cause I'm afraid I'll tire my fans to death and/or my hearing :]

Unit: desktop

Card: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G

Driver: adrenaline 18.5.1

Display: AG241QX but the drivers describe it as AG241QG4, DP, 2560-1440 (recommended res), 144Hz

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B150-D3H, bios rev should be 1.0, F5 version, date 11/02/2015

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500

PS: XFX TS 550 PRO (P1-550S-XXB9)

RAM: Hyper X Fury 2x4Gb (HX421C14FBK2/8)

I will try to update this later with some screenshots of the WattMan readings.

EDIT:

Some screenshots as promised. Sorry for the lousy paint job and evil polishness of the WM settings :]

WM reading while playing 7 Days to Die

https://imgur.com/a/iu5hgH5

GPU-Z sensor readings of the same time:

https://imgur.com/a/FfzSYzl

Outcomes