cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jaroslavn
Journeyman III

Incorrect amount of video memory size. (AMD radeon hd 8770m)

Hello

My AMD radeon HD 8770m has 2gb of video memory and everywhere on my laptop it only shows that it has 1024mb. When I play a game it only uses maximum 980mb of the 2048mb that it has. It has never gone above 1000mb.

On every site it says that it has 2GB of video memory (AMD Radeon HD 8770M - NotebookCheck.net Tech ).

But on the samsung site it says 1GB graphics memory.

(Rainbow6 siege on 1600x900 low)

I have a Samsung ativ book 8 880z5e (Review Samsung ATIV Book 8 Touch 880Z5E X01 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews )

Windows 10 latest update, intel I7-3635qm, 8GB ram, latest AMD driver update.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege2018-10-31-16-53-12.jpgScreenshot (99).png

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Looks like Samsung HD8770M GPU cards in that model all have one gigabyte of vRAM.  This is from an old review on a Samsung ATIV BOOK 6 with the same GPU card listed as having only one gigabyte of DDR5 Memory. Samsung ATIV Book 6 Review - Page 2 of 3

Just more proof that Samsung HD 8770M has less DDR5 Memory than the regular AMD HD 8770M GPU card.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Something's not right. The PCI Device ID is used for the HD 8670A/8670M/8750M, not the 8770M, and the 8670M is a 1GB part, which would match what Samsung says. What does GPUz report your card as?

Hello

You are right. but why do all these sites say that the AMD Radeon HD 8770m has 2048mb.

GPU-Z also says 8600/8700m like Radeon settings does.

But on TechPowerUp's website it also says 2GB ??? (AMD Radeon HD 8770M Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database )

gpu.gifScreenshot (102).png

Thank you

0 Likes

I was searching around and it's clearly a 8770m but modified with less Vram.

Screenshot (105).png

0 Likes

Recommendation:

AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer has customized the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

If the current operating system is not the version originally installed on the notebook it may not meet all requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the notebook manufacturer for supported operating systems and drivers.

AMD Mobility Radeon™ Graphics Driver:

AMD provides generic reference drivers for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics with limited support for notebook specific features and functions.

Edit;

OEM suppliers can do/change what they wish, within certain limitations, with the basic graphics chip they purchase from AMD. A good example is Gigabyte 'possibly' tweaking a current Nivdia card to compete with a 'possible' new AMD card offering;

" We now know Gigabyte is launching one such card, and that the GPU inside is supposedly a cut-down GP104 identical to that used for the GTX 1080, GTX 1070 Ti, and GTX 1070. The new GTX 1060 with GDDR5X should have a faster RAM clock, but Gigabyte is playing coy on that front right now, claiming that the bandwidth is still the same as the original card — 192GB/s. That seems extremely unlikely, given that the entire point of incorporating GDDR5X would be to improve overall bandwidth, but Gigabyte is giving itself room to adjust core clocks and memory frequency without disclosing that information just yet."

Benchmark Results Tip for AMD RX 590, Show It Beating GTX 1060

0 Likes

Found your laptop Specs at Samsung: ATIV Book 8 NP880Z5E | Owner Information & Support | Samsung US

Your 8770M GPU card DOES HAVE 1 Gigabyte of vRAM. That is correct. from Samsung concerning your Laptop GPU card:

Seems like Samsung installed a OEM 8770M card with less vRAM then the normal AMD 8770M GPU Card.

Yes, that's right,I posted a messege after black_zion answered with some diffirences, but my messeges have to get approved by mods and it takes very long..

0 Likes

Looks like Samsung HD8770M GPU cards in that model all have one gigabyte of vRAM.  This is from an old review on a Samsung ATIV BOOK 6 with the same GPU card listed as having only one gigabyte of DDR5 Memory. Samsung ATIV Book 6 Review - Page 2 of 3

Just more proof that Samsung HD 8770M has less DDR5 Memory than the regular AMD HD 8770M GPU card.