AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX 550 bad performance opengl

Question asked by zulfikarib on Oct 29, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 5, 2018 by zulfikarib

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte RX 550 2GB DDR5 , I use X-plane a flight simulator which is an Opengl based game.

Have terrible performance in opengl for both under Windows 10 and Linux. Though i am a bit bottle necked due to CPU / RAM , the new upgrade is planned for next year , hence i tried the other flight simulators which are DX11 -  DCS World / il2 and both these perform like 40-50 fps which is actually good.

X-plane under windows will give me not more than 15-18 fps and under linux it's worst where it actually chokes the system and with similar fps. Today morning i decided to upgrade to Adrelaine 18.10 from 18.5 and wow i was getting 9 fps.

Using Linux 18.4 AMDGPU-Pro and on windows 10 - 18.10 (will be going back to 18.5).

Hence for linux i had to use the open source Mesa / Gallium which give me around 10-15 fps more which is quite good, But X-plane developers said they don't support open source Mesa / Gallium and  i am stuck with this problem.

X-plane will be going with Vulkan starting early next year .

I hope the technical staff of the GPU drivers development team take into consideration as what the problem is with Opengl in the drivers.

The other test i carried out was using American Truck Simulator which is again availlable for Directx and Opengl and supports both windows / Linux. The same issue if tried under AMD Adrenlain under windows using Opengl (8-10 fps less)  and under Mesa (linux ) better performance.

Need anymore info then please let me.

My config :

AMD X4 810

8 GB DDR3 1333Mhz

Gigabyte RX 550 2GB DDR5

Windows 10 / Lubuntu 18.04

Rgds.

Zulfikar.

Outcomes