AnsweredAssumed Answered

Water-cooled 2950x spiking to 50c with minimal load

Question asked by kenn.guilstorf on Oct 26, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 28, 2018 by kenn.guilstorf

I'm running new build of a 2950x in an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC (and yes, I've updated to the latest BIOS so it actually works) with an EVGA GTX 1080 TI, 64GB of Corsair 3000Mhz Blue LED memory, and a 1200W power supply (for expandability, I'm hoping to upgrade to dual RTX cards eventually). Both CPU and GPU are water-cooled (the CPU with a EKWB block and the GPU with an EVGA block) and my 3/8"x1/2" PETG loop runs reservoir to pump to thermal sensor to processor to GPU to 240mm rad to 480mm rad (again, with additional GPUs in mind I over-built) and then back to reservoir. Water temp is consistently in the 25c to 28c range (I've not noticed it going higher) but HWInfo64 indicates the 2950x tDie is spiking, at times, to 50c and can stay in the high 40's for some time even though max load on the processor is in the 15% range. The GPU stays a frosty 32-35c, in comparison, but - again - I've not put it under load (I've not even run benchmarks because I'm worried about the CPU). I'm new to custom water-cooling (I had an AIO in my last rig which was an Intel 4th gen that stayed in the low 40c's) so I'm worried my thermals are poor and that maybe I've screwed up the thermalpaste, the CPU water-block or maybe I just got a bad CPU water-block.

I've heard first-gen Ryzen had problems with intermittent temperature spikes but not whether the 2nd gen chips suffer the same fate. I think I've read that max tDie thermals on the 2950x are 98c and I'm nowhere near it - but I've not tried to load the CPU, either. Am I worrying for nothing or should I be concerned?

Outcomes