cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kenn_guilstorf
Journeyman III

Water-cooled 2950x spiking to 50c with minimal load

I'm running new build of a 2950x in an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC (and yes, I've updated to the latest BIOS so it actually works) with an EVGA GTX 1080 TI, 64GB of Corsair 3000Mhz Blue LED memory, and a 1200W power supply (for expandability, I'm hoping to upgrade to dual RTX cards eventually). Both CPU and GPU are water-cooled (the CPU with a EKWB block and the GPU with an EVGA block) and my 3/8"x1/2" PETG loop runs reservoir to pump to thermal sensor to processor to GPU to 240mm rad to 480mm rad (again, with additional GPUs in mind I over-built) and then back to reservoir. Water temp is consistently in the 25c to 28c range (I've not noticed it going higher) but HWInfo64 indicates the 2950x tDie is spiking, at times, to 50c and can stay in the high 40's for some time even though max load on the processor is in the 15% range. The GPU stays a frosty 32-35c, in comparison, but - again - I've not put it under load (I've not even run benchmarks because I'm worried about the CPU). I'm new to custom water-cooling (I had an AIO in my last rig which was an Intel 4th gen that stayed in the low 40c's) so I'm worried my thermals are poor and that maybe I've screwed up the thermalpaste, the CPU water-block or maybe I just got a bad CPU water-block.

I've heard first-gen Ryzen had problems with intermittent temperature spikes but not whether the 2nd gen chips suffer the same fate. I think I've read that max tDie thermals on the 2950x are 98c and I'm nowhere near it - but I've not tried to load the CPU, either. Am I worrying for nothing or should I be concerned?

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

I suspect you are fine kenn.guilstorf.  Trust ONLY Rysen Master (RM), never a free app.  Please install RM and post a screen shot.  Here are my specifications and I have no temperature problems:

MSI X399 Creation , Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on

AeroXpander, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,

Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

Radeon RX580,UEFI E7B92AMS.125 , AGESA ThreadRipperPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.1

There are some funny temperature variations but those are normal - lots of users see them.

RM:

RM2990WX.jpg

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply; it took me a while to install Ryzen Master because I had to uninstall Hyper-V from my install for some reason. It's not really a big deal - the reason I installed Hyper-V is moot now anyway - but it did take me a bit to get it cleaned and stabilized. Here's the output:

pastedImage_0.png

42c isn't bad; Ryzen Master doesn't keep track of 'max' but that's fine. I know water-cooling is associated with over-clocking - and I think I've certainly built my PC with the CAPABILITY for it - but I don't know enough not to do something stupid and break something. The only thing I 'might' do is over-clock my memory because the memory claims to be 3000mhz and it's running at 2800. Based on your advice and watching this meter for a while, I guess I'm happy and will remain happy so long as the loop doesn't leak and the CPU doesn't hit 90c.

I will watch, though, in case you see something above that is 'bad'. I really need to spend some time researching what all of this stuff means...I researched the heck out of water-cooling before trying it myself (I spent six months before attempting this), the least I can do is try to figure out what all of the esoteric acronyms in my Bios (and in Ryzen Master) mean...

0 Likes

Thanks, kenn.guilstorf.  What is your ambient temperature?  Mine is a cool 21C right now.  Here are your processor specifications:

2950X.jpg

So, 68C is your maximum.  All Threadrippers have the same 68C maximum.  Unless your ambient temperature is much higher than mine your processor temperature seems high.  I just started Prime95 and CPU went up to 43C.  I see most of your cores are at 4000 MHZ.  Is your CPU cooling system designed for at least 250 Watts.  Are you running a heavy duty load?  BTW, you did not need to remove Hyper-V, just Disable SVM.  I run Hyper-V and just turn off/on as needed.  The setting is hard to find because it is in OC settings as follows: In Advanced Mode-OC Settings-CPU Features-SVM Mode -Disable.  I also set my XMP to 3200 MHz and it seems to run fine.  G.Skill memory with Samsung B Dies seem to really run well in Ryzen.  I have used EKWB sinks on my NVMe SSDs and they seem to work well.  I know they have a great reputation for their custom water looks.  It might be good to interact with them.  Please keep us informed.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Yeah, so it isn't an EKWB water block - that was my first choice (and I really, really wanted it) but I could get a "Raystorm Neo WaterBlock (AMD sTR4 Threadripper) Black Chrome" the next day and EKWB was going to take a week or so, so I opted for the Raystorm. Sorry to mislead you.

Ambient temperature is ~27c today, loop temperature is 30c and my max temperature I've seen so far from Ryzen Master is ~44c. I think i'm going to give it a month or so and replace the Raystorm with a quality waterblock from EKWB or elsewhere; I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Raystorm - but I've heard good things about EKWB, Alphacool and etc. Plus, the RGB on the Raystorm doesn't work and that's bugging me. If I'm lucky, there will be a good Black Friday/CyberMonday sale on 1080 Ti's and I can pick one of them up as well and SLI my cards at the same time instead of bending tubes piece-meal.

0 Likes

Thanks, kenn.guilstorf.  Your plan sounds very good to me.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thank you! That's good to know! I'll watch for their update.

0 Likes