10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2018 2:02 PM by dan_e_boy

Update feature in Radeon software question.

dan_e_boy

Hello all, recently I noticed in my Radeon settings that there was a new update available.  I do not have a need to update since everything is working as it should on my system.  I did ponder about doing the update though.  Then I remembered all of the problems and the long process I had to go through last time I updated, all because I didn't follow the famous clean uninstall/ reinstall procedures posted on the AMD support website.  It seems like every time there is a new update, it is recommended to follow the clean uninstall/ reinstall procedure to be successful.  I wonder, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, why even provide the update option in the Radeon software settings?  And as a follow up to that question, couldn't they program a clean uninstall process in that update option so that you don't have to manually do it?

I guess I am wondering because most other software that I have on my computer will auto update with no issues.  Other software will show a notification about an available update and I just click the update button and it all gets done automatically.  Why doesn't the Radeon update feature work like that?

• Re: Update feature in Radeon software question.
          kingfish

Fair questions to ask...I can answer one. If you are having no issues with your graphics card, leave it alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

There is a option when installing the drivers to 'keep it up to date'...I believe the default is 'enable'. You could reinstall the existing driver and uncheck this option.

You can turn off notifications in Wattman Preferences.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              dan_e_boy

Hi Kingfish,

Thanks for the reply.  I believe I did uncheck the auto update feature when

I installed the drivers because it doesn't automatically update.  I just

get the notification if I open the Radeon settings and I have to actually

click on the "Update" button to run the updater.  So it's not actually

bugging me for an update, I just happened to notice it was available when I

opened Radeon settings.  Remembering the troubles I had last time I

updated, I am inclined to leave things as they are since everything is

working great.

So no troubles, just putting the thought out there.  Just wondering (or

maybe planting a seed?) why clicking the update button wouldn't

automatically uninstall the old driver before installing the new one.

Maybe the update button actually works for most people and some of us are

just unfortunate to have a system that requires the clean uninstall process?

Anyway, I'm up way too late.  Check back in tomorrow

Cheers

Hardwood

dan_e_boy wrote:

I guess I am wondering because most other software that I have on my computer will auto update with no issues. Other software will show a notification about an available update and I just click the update button and it all gets done automatically. Why doesn't the Radeon update feature work like that?

It's probably relevant that your vidcard is a multihundred dollar device that needs special attention. Thinks aren't so simple with important pervasive hardware.

..just my 2cents.

dan_e_boy

Yah now that you mention it, if I think of the other hardware in my system like motherboard, hard drive, DVD Blu-Ray etc... the update process is usually pretty manual but it's usually something you only need to do once.  Thankfully, the link that Kingfish provided above shows that there actually is a "Clean Install" option during the installation process.  A person may only have to manually uninstall, DDU and install the software etc... (otherwise know as clean uninstall procedure) if he/she is having problems with the regular clean install option through the software.