13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 10:02 PM by dan_e_boy

Update feature in Radeon software question.

dan_e_boy

Hello all, recently I noticed in my Radeon settings that there was a new update available.  I do not have a need to update since everything is working as it should on my system.  I did ponder about doing the update though.  Then I remembered all of the problems and the long process I had to go through last time I updated, all because I didn't follow the famous clean uninstall/ reinstall procedures posted on the AMD support website.  It seems like every time there is a new update, it is recommended to follow the clean uninstall/ reinstall procedure to be successful.  I wonder, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, why even provide the update option in the Radeon software settings?  And as a follow up to that question, couldn't they program a clean uninstall process in that update option so that you don't have to manually do it?

I guess I am wondering because most other software that I have on my computer will auto update with no issues.  Other software will show a notification about an available update and I just click the update button and it all gets done automatically.  Why doesn't the Radeon update feature work like that?

• Re: Update feature in Radeon software question.
          kingfish

Fair questions to ask...I can answer one. If you are having no issues with your graphics card, leave it alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

There is a option when installing the drivers to 'keep it up to date'...I believe the default is 'enable'. You could reinstall the existing driver and uncheck this option.

You can turn off notifications in Wattman Preferences.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              dan_e_boy

Hi Kingfish,

Thanks for the reply.  I believe I did uncheck the auto update feature when

I installed the drivers because it doesn't automatically update.  I just

get the notification if I open the Radeon settings and I have to actually

click on the "Update" button to run the updater.  So it's not actually

bugging me for an update, I just happened to notice it was available when I

opened Radeon settings.  Remembering the troubles I had last time I

updated, I am inclined to leave things as they are since everything is

working great.

So no troubles, just putting the thought out there.  Just wondering (or

maybe planting a seed?) why clicking the update button wouldn't

automatically uninstall the old driver before installing the new one.

Maybe the update button actually works for most people and some of us are

just unfortunate to have a system that requires the clean uninstall process?

Anyway, I'm up way too late.  Check back in tomorrow

Cheers

Hardwood

dan_e_boy wrote:

I guess I am wondering because most other software that I have on my computer will auto update with no issues. Other software will show a notification about an available update and I just click the update button and it all gets done automatically. Why doesn't the Radeon update feature work like that?

It's probably relevant that your vidcard is a multihundred dollar device that needs special attention. Thinks aren't so simple with important pervasive hardware.

..just my 2cents.

dan_e_boy

Yah now that you mention it, if I think of the other hardware in my system like motherboard, hard drive, DVD Blu-Ray etc... the update process is usually pretty manual but it's usually something you only need to do once.  Thankfully, the link that Kingfish provided above shows that there actually is a "Clean Install" option during the installation process.  A person may only have to manually uninstall, DDU and install the software etc... (otherwise know as clean uninstall procedure) if he/she is having problems with the regular clean install option through the software.

pokester

Just sharing my personal opinion on the auto vs manual install and clean install vs DDU.

I have had terrible luck with the auto install. I don't know why it doesn't work well for me or the many other users I have seen complain of it in the forums. When I see the notification of a new driver, I go get the manual installer. I also install the new driver on my Windows 10 systems with the Internet and security software disabled. I also have Windows 10 set to not update drivers through Windows update.

I have had mixed results with the express install but I typically give it a try and if all works great and if not I then run DDU from safe mode and all is well again.

Why I do this myself over a clean install is that DDU only deletes the display driver files and does not disturb any of my game profile information. Running the AMD clean install option wipes it all out and I have to start over. When you have hundreds of games this is a big issue. Not sure why they can't have an option to leave this alone or a way to back it up and restore it easily. But DDU has been pretty much the flawless option when the express upgrade doesn't give the desired results for me.

billy72

My experience with the AMD installer is being positive with both the RX 580 and Pro WX 7100, both installed in Ryzen systems.

With RX 580 I do not need to use the <Clean Uninstall> option, with WX 7100 it is mandatory and after restarting I must launch <AMDCleanUpUtility> to remove all traces of previous installation, when I did not do it this way after <Restore this PC> through Windows Settings the OS still continues recognizing the driver without being able to access the control panel.

I have only used DDU once and the experience was positive, but I am used to official tools.

It is very curious how the same tools react in different systems.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            dan_e_boy

My experience with the AMD driver upgrade on my A10-7860K APU was not so positive involving many installs attempts, re-installing Windows 10, trouble ticket with AMD etc... 

I wanted to upgrade because I was getting intermittent crashes when playing some of my games.  Even after a successful install was achieved, I was still getting intermittent crashes during gameplay on certain games.  Googling the error codes took me all over the map from video driver updates, mobo drivers/BIOS, audio drivers/settings, video card settings, windows settings, game settings etc... 

Ended up finding out, while researching another lead, that I had an incorrect memory setting in the BIOS that was causing the game crashes.  It was a lucky find.  Once I figured out the proper memory settings and got everything working perfectly, I did not want to even try to figure out if it was an actual issue with the driver installation method.  The bad memory setting was the start of all my problems and in the process of trying to figure out what was wrong and trying to update and reinstall so many times I probably screwed something up which is what I think caused all of my installation headaches. 

So for all I know, the upgrade feature in the Radeon settings might work perfectly fine on my system but since I currently have no need to upgrade I will not find out.  At least now I know how to fix it if I ever do try and it fails, that is, if I am brave enough to try .

2 of 2 people found this helpful