0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2018 1:36 PM by davejb

Finally, my fix for "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

davejb

Hi guys, I had this problem for almost a year (see here my terrible crashing for months fixed - RX 580 and Vega RX56 ) and I was ... losing my mind. In short, I had NO stability issues for almost 3 years with an Intel box and an R9 280. I then upgraded to an RX580 and started to get the amdkmdap error constantly. Then the Vega RX56 came on sale and I hoped that the 580 was defective and the Vega would fix the issue. Nope. These crashes were just constant, no matter what I was doing. Of course I'd tried playing with the Wattman settings, different driver versions, different graphic settings, I fully wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10, etc etc. Now, I've been PC gaming for 23 years and building my own gaming systems since the late 90's, so I'm no noob (plus I'm a sys admin for a living) but this was driving me nuts. If I had had more time to dedicate to solving this problem instead of just trying to spend my little bit of free time gaming, I would have have been more methodical and figured it out sooner but oh well.

Now, I have a few posts on this forum about this and thought I had it figured out a couple times thinking something else was causing it, but no. I've fixed it now. No more crashing. It took me a very long time to track down the specific problem by starting to take notes to any changes made by me, Windows Updates, or driver updates. I had tried the TDR_Delay fix and that seemed better for a while but wasn't good enough. Also, either this key or another key (I'm not at home to see my notes) kept changing even DURING my gaming sessions. I'd set it, it would be fine as long as it remained then the driver would crash and when I looked at the registry key it had been changed back.

Okay, the fix for me was to set (or add the key) TdrLevel to "0". This means that a graphics driver crash means you'll need to fully reboot the PC, but I had no choice. I had so many nights where I couldn't even play for 3 or 4 minutes without a crash. Here's a URL that describes the key. TDR Registry Keys | Microsoft Docs

I've now gamed for over 20 hours with no more amdkmdap errors, though I have had a crash or two that forced me to hold the power button in for five seconds to power cycle the computer. Not perfect but I'll take it.

One interesting note. On my work PC which is running Windows 10 1803, there are no TDR keys at all. So, I'm wondering if the cause of going from a system that had an AMD card (the R9 280) and was stable for years and then the frequent crashing (after upgrading to the 580) is because AMD added the TDR key themselves with the newer cards.

Notes:

The only two games I've been playing were NBA 2K17 and Mass Effect Andromeda.

System specs off the top of my head:

Intel i5-4670K (Haswell)

Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 motherboard

16 GB 1866 PC3-14900 DDR3 RAM

AMD Vega RX56

Samsung 850 Pro SSD

750 watt power supply