3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 9:38 PM by billy72

New Graphics Card, System Unstable

ryeloc

I recently bought a new RX 580 XFX - Black Edition, I have 2 monitors FreeSync Acer's and a TV 43 TCL connected to it. When The TV is connected the system will randomly blue screen with drivers 18.5.1. I tried to update too 18.9.3 but during install the screen goes black/grey and never comes back. When I reboot the screen just boots up at a black/grey screen. I tried to remove in safe mode with driver uninstaller and install the drivers but it does the same thing. I went back to 18.5.1 but the system is crashing with these drivers. When I disconnect the TV it seems to be stable, when I connect just 1 monitor and the TV is crashes as well. When I connect just the TV by itself it works fine.

This is my System

AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor

MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory x2

Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

XFX - Radeon RX 580 8GB GTS Black Edition OC+ Video Card

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I've run MemTest86 for about 8 hours and it reported no errors no issues. The system prior to the graphics card had a Nvidia 960 with no issues at all. This is my first AMD Video Card so I'm pretty new to these, both of my monitors support FreeSync so that's why I went with the AMD Graphics Card. When it's up and working it's great, but it's unstable, sometimes it runs for hours, sometimes it runs for minutes. I did put my 960 back in today after removing all drivers and it's been running great all day. I think I have a driver problem here, prior to 18.9.3 I had 18.9.2 and I didn't notice these issues. I upgraded to 18.9.3, which I had all the black/grey screen issues, then rolled back to what I could find and began crashing all the time.

I've been out of town for about a month, so it ran on 18.9.2 weeks ago when I first got it, I came back and updated so total play/work time with the RX 580 isn't very much.

• Re: New Graphics Card, System Unstable
          billy72

Hi ryeloc

Based on my experience with Sapphire RX 580 / 18.9.3 driver / Samsung 4K TV and Windows 10 Home all runs as expected and stable, but i remember trying  to install a Radeon Pro WX 3100 with their drivers to the Samsung TV and i watched the same black/grey screen behavior what you mentioned earlier. I managed to stabilize the system by disabling the HDMI color enhancements (called <HDMI UHD Color> in Samsung 4K TVs) before installing the driver. This behavior sometimes happens when the driver has to manage very different EDIDs at same time, it is normal.

Allow me to purpose you that you perform the steps of installing or uninstalling the driver without connecting the TV, when you get stability with your FreeSync monitors connect the TV looking for stability through the color controls of your TCL TV, feel free to contact with XFX and TCL support to get help and clarify your doubts.

Hopefully these tips will be helpful, but if you have not been useful share it here, other more advanced members of this Community can help you better than me.

Regards

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ryeloc

Thanks for the help Billy, I ended up tracking this down to what I believe is a RAM issue. Right now I've removed the problematic modules and it seems to be stable without crashing. Having a number of driver issues with my graphics card though. Screens keep going grey/black after install.

billy72

Thanks for your answer.

Your DDR4 modules are not included in the QVL compatibility list for your motherboard and Ryzen 2600X, this can produce unstable behavior …. or not, i have 2 Ryzen systems both with DDR4 RAM modules not included in the compatibility list and the systems runs stable, maybe I've been lucky …. maybe you too.

The latest BIOS version for your motherboard is 7B79vA4, it would be interesting to confirm that you have this version installed.

A clear CMOS is an recommended process when making important hardware changes on the PC, especially for GPU, you will find the steps to follow in the motherboard user manual.

I doubt that the problem of the TV/Monitors are caused by RAM memory, but building PCs almost is possible. Remember: XFX and MSI support can help you a lot … if you need help about steps to follow before mentioned …. welcome back!!

Edit: don't forget check the cables or adapters that you are using to connect your monitors and TV, maybe are needed different requirements for FreeSync

1 of 1 people found this helpful