20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 10:18 AM by misterj

The computer hangs and the screen goes blank. Ryzen Threadripper 1950x

idiscodancer

Motherboard              MSI SLI PLUS X399

Processor                   AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

Cooler                         Arctic Freezer 33 TR CPU

Graphics Card            MSI GeForce GTX1050 Ti 4GT OC 4GB

Power supply              Seasonic FOCUS PLUS Modular (80 + Gold)

SSD                            Corsair Force MP300 M.2 SSD PCIe NVMe 480GB

RAM                            2 set of Kingston HyperX Fury black 32GB DDR4 K2 HX426C16FBK2

My computer hangs under load and the monitor turns off. The BIOS is updated, the Video card is inserted into another slot, I tried it with another video card, the drivers are all updated. Conducted stress test AIDA64, the computer kept the temperature in the normal range, after an hour of the test, the screen went out and the system hung. All equipment is new from the store. For several weeks I have been trying to find the cause and nothing comes out.

Sorry for bad english writing via google translator.

I will be very grateful if you help solve this problem.

• Re: The computer hangs and the screen goes blank. Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
          misterj

idiscodancer, I think I am reading your English just fine.  What is the power of your power supply?  I have the same processor with an 850 Watt supply.  Any less may be a problem.  Tell us your UEFI and OS versions.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) with your system under load.  Have you made any modifications in your UEFI (XMP)?  Please try a Clear CMOS and run again.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

• Re: The computer hangs and the screen goes blank. Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
            billy72

Hi idiscodancer

I'm not a Threadripper owner.

Based on my experiences with Windows 10 1803 / ASUS Prime X370-Pro / Ryzen 7 2700X / G.Skill 3200Mhz (not included in QVL) with all the chipset drivers / OS / BIOS updated and performed many clear CMOS I have suffered system freezes, continuous black screen followed of mandatory reboot and BSODs.

I think IMHO that the problem here could be Windows 10 and incompatibility with some third-party drivers and software that can make your system unstable, as you have been able to observe lately Windows 10 offers few guarantees of stability.

I've come to stability in my system:

- uninstalling Firefox Web Browser (BSODs when runing it) and Samsung NVMe Driver 3.0 for 960 EVO

- not launching Windows Task Manager for system monitoring

- launching DISM and SFC tools through Windows PowerShell (Administrator), steeps followed described here.

Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems

After following the steps above I have reached a state of stability in Windows 10 that I almost find it hard to believe 

Hopefully this can help you to research and find your answers

Regards

Edit 2018/10/14: I found the reason why my system was unstable, it was necessary to disable Global C-States when PBO is enabled in BIOS. I apologize for possible confusions and lost time caused.