cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Is Edge Distortion a Driver Problem?

This has been a persistent problem for a long time. Now that I've seen it in another game, I have decided to bring this to AMD's attention.

Specs

• CPU
    • AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
  • RAM
    • 16 GB
  • Graphics
    • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC 8 GB running Adrenaline 18.5.1
  • Motherboard
    • Asus Sabertooth 990FX on BIOS 1604
  • PSU
    • Seasonic X-760 760W Gold
  • Display
    • Asus VH238 1920x1080 @60 Hz on DVI to DVI
  • Operating System
    • Windows 7 64-bit

In SWTOR, the graphics found along the top, left, and right edges of the screen get stretched. I don't know if this affects the bottom as well. This is most noticeable with planets, NPCs/your companion, and tall structures. Anything along these edges looks bigger, gets stretched out in all directions, and appears closer to you than they really are. Driver updates do nothing, rollbacks do nothing, and it happens regardless of what screen mode I'm running in. This has been going on for so long, I can't remember.

I did attempt to edit the EDID, but I can't read hexadecimal, so I tried the alternative of manually editing the resolution of my monitor in the registry, but this had no effect, except for a smaller loading indicator on the splash screen, so I had to use CRU​ to create an EDID override. I've read a few people fixed their problems by switching to DVI from HDMI, but not the other way around.

Here is a link to some screenshots of what I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/a/361tija

And here is a link to a video that shows edge distortion, although it is very extreme.

I have also noticed this same edge distortion recently in Unreal Tournament 4, which leads me to believe this is a driver problem.

0 Likes
0 Replies