0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 8:58 AM by klm

RX480 crashes with Netflix in Edge in every driver after 18.3.4

klm

I have had a problem for a long while, and I'm wondering whether anybody else has experienced this, or has a solution. Each time a new driver version comes out, I hope that it's fixed, but it's not.

Issue description:

When watching Netflix in the Edge browser, using any driver version later than 18.3.4, I will at one point (after a few minutes usually) experience a black screen and total system hang, requiring me to cut power and reboot the system.

Hardware:

MSI Radeon RX480 Gaming X (stock settings, stock bios, single GPU)

Ryzen 7 1700X

Biostar X370GTN mobo (latest bios)

Corsair Vengeance 2×8GB 3200MHz CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Dell Ultrasharp UP2716D monitor, connected via displayport (single monitor)

This system is running entirely stable, except for above mentioned problem.

Software:

Windows 10 Pro, always fully up-to-date (luckily, 18.3.4 works fine even though it lacks official Windows 10 April 2018 support)

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.3.4

Microsoft Edge browser, also fully up-to-date obviously

Further information:

If you look at the release notes of the 18.4.1 driver, it says under known issues: Netflix™ playback through a web browser may experience corruption or hangs when using multi GPU enabled system configurations with Radeon RX 400 series or Radeon RX 500 series graphics products.

The release notes of 18.5.1 say: Support for: - Microsoft® PlayReady®3.0 - Supported on Radeon RX 400 Series and Radeon RX 500 Series desktop graphics products.

and, under fixed issues: Netflix™ playback through a web browser may experience corruption or hangs when using multi GPU enabled system configurations with Radeon RX 400 series or Radeon RX 500 series graphics products.

So somewhere in the changes made to 18.4.1 and 18.5.1 a problem has been introduced that makes watching Netflix in Edge crash my system. I have tried every driver version since 18.3.4, but the problem remains, and the 'fix' in 18.5.1 didn't fix my problem. Not that I don't have a multi GPU system, but I was hoping that the fix in 18.5.1 would also fix my problem.

I have had my GPU crash on a few occasions, totally unrelated and by a clearly known cause, and what happens then is I get a black screen, and the GPU resets itself, but the rest of the system remains stable. Once the screen comes back, I go on with my business as if nothing happened. It is strange that with the Netflix in Edge issue, I experience a completely unresponsive system with black screen. A hard reset is the only thing I can do at that point.

I have tried clean installs using DDU, I have even done a complete format and reinstall of the latest Windows 10, but it doesn't help. There is only one clear culprit: any driver later than 18.3.4.

Any ideas..?