cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

eadiecd
Adept I

Computer frequently crashing, GPU sometimes doesn’t start back up

I recently built this PC and I’m having issues with it freezing. At first, my keyboard RGB and my monitor would turn black, but the CPU and case fans would continue. After updating all of my drivers, now the screen & keyboard stay on, but the screen freezes. When it freezes, the CPU fan, case fan, and case RGB continue to work but my GPU fans stop. When I try to restart it, sometimes the CPU fan, case fan, and RGB come on but the GPU never turns on. If I wait a few minutes and try again, it works fine again until it freezes. Time between crashes is anywhere between 30 minutes and several hours.

I am pretty certain that all of my drivers are up to date and all components should be compatible. Some friends have suggested it is a RAM issue but I’m not sure what the optimal settings for RAM should be. I’m in engineering school and really need this thing to be stable. Any help you could offer is greatly appreciated!

Specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

8 GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000 RAM

Gigabyte B450M DS3H Motherboard

TeamL5Lite3D 480GB SSD

Eclipse P300 Series case

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W

Message was edited by: Chris Eadie
Updated to include OS and PSU

0 Likes
16 Replies

Is that RAM on the motherboard's QVL list, and set to run the timings it is designed for?

Yes, I found the list yesterday and updated the timings. The "Auto" function actually had all the same settings that were suggested in the list. Unfortunately, the problem has persisted.

0 Likes
arcticwind
Forerunner

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

What OS are you using?

What power supply are you using?

Have you tested the power supply?

Are both power cables connected to the motherboard? (24 pin and 8 pin)

Is the power cable plugged into the GPU?

0 Likes

OS - Windows 10

PSU - SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W

I have not tested the power supply explicitly but I have tried 2 different PCI-E ports and cords.  I'm not sure what you mean by both cables - I have one 8 pin cable going from GPU to the PSU, and the 24 pin going from the motherboard to the PSU.

Thank you!

0 Likes

There is an 8 pin power connector on the top left hand side of the motherboard that also needs to be plugged in.

Sorry about the confusion. I DO have the 8 pin from top left motherboard to PSU, the 8 pin from GPU to PSU, and the 12 pin from right side motherboard to PSU.

0 Likes

Get a power supply tester and test the voltages on the power supply to rule that out.

If the memory (RAM) you are using is on the QVL list and in the correct slots on the motherboard, run a memory test to rule that out.

If necessary, take the motherboard into a service center and have it tested. 

0 Likes
poopalo
Adept I

Hey man, I have the EXACT same problem as you! I also have a very similar build (Same mobo, cpu, except a 1080 for GPU):

Windows 10 64 bit

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

16 GB Vulcan DDR4 3000 RAM

Gigabyte B450M DS3H Motherboard

WD 500GB SSD / 1 TB SeaGate Barracuda

NZXT H500

SeaSonic 550W Gold.

Sometimes it will take me multiple times to get things showing on my screen (Have to hold down power button and restart until screen actually shows up despite fans, keyboard, and mouse RGB showing all the time).

My PC was working the first 3 days I built it perfectly as well, but afterwards it started crashing constantly doing basic tasks. (First crashes I noticed were while playing YouTube videos). One thing I've noticed is it actually never crashed at all while gaming, only when I never had a game running. It freezes and restarts often when doing driver / Windows updates as well, and has even freezed before while looking at BIOS settings/

I've tried plugging in and off both of my RAM sticks as well as doing memtest, memory diagnostic tools, etc. and the ram doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

I've also reinstalled Windows on my SSD and even installing and booting from my hard drive but no success, my BIOS is also the latest 06/06/2018 one and my GPU driver is updated to the latest but I've also tried downgrading it to the CD one included with the GPU.

I've even took my PC to a local computer shop and they blamed it on my GPU being defected and i'm unsure if I can trust the diagnosis or if I should actually send it back for a replacement.

At least I've found a thread that describes the exact same things i'm experiencing, hope yours gets fixed, I will let you know if I find my own fix.

Hey poopalo,

Yeah those symptoms match what I'm going through almost exactly. I haven't gamed for a prolonged time on the machine but I've never had a crash while playing rocket league or other games. Frame rates and temperatures are all around what I would expect. I have had crashes when on Youtube, Chrome, Blender, Fusion 360 (only working with small single files), Word, and others.

I've got a thread going also over on the geforce website. I will be trying some of their suggestions later today, and I'll be sure to update here.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1073855/geforce-1000-series/computer-frequently-crashing-gp... 

It's been really frustrating! I hope we find the issue soon...

0 Likes

I have the exact same problem as u.

My specs are:

Ryzen 1600

Gigabyte B450M-DS3H ( Same motherboard as you! )

1060 3gb

500w power supply.

It freezes in idle and sometimes in BIOS. My pc ran fine for 1 month until i did a bios update,installed gigabyte app center and updated windows ( all 3 were done on same day!). I have changed PSU, graphics card, tested RAM and downgraded to F1 bios, reinstalled windows ( it even hangs and restarts during windows installation sometimes) but nothing helped. I highly doubt it's the motherboard. Can we keep in touch somehow so we can solve this together?

0 Likes

It's almost 100% the motherboard my man. I've already fixed my issue since by replacing my Mobo, and I'm certain it will fix your problems as well. Hope you're able to return it!

what motherboard did you get??

0 Likes
eadiecd
Adept I

Hey Samx,

We had the same discussion over here and concluded it was the motherboard:

https://community.amd.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.geforce.com%2Fdefault%2Ftopic%...

It is almost certainly your motherboard.

Yes I figured it out BUT the question is should i RMA it or buy a new motherboard from ASUS/MSI etc and what guarantee that the new board won't have this problem? Kindly guide me...

0 Likes

since we all had the same problem with the same Gigabyte motherboard, I think instead of an RMA it would be best to buy a completely new different one. I personally went and bought an Asus ROG Strix b450-f and it works perfectly, but anything else should work great tbh

0 Likes

My motherboard is just 1 month old wwhat did you do with your old motherboard?

0 Likes