cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

yian88
Journeyman III

Gigabyte RX 580 Aorus overheat VRAM memory run 2000mhz max in @idle mode.

Edit: I am running at 240hz and according to some posts this is a bug that isnt being fixed? what can i do to lower VRAM speed at high refresh rate?

Edit 2: Apparently the issue is caused by running a 240hz monitor over display port and a 4k TV on hdmi 2.0

-Removing the 4K TV dropped VRAM to 300mhz idle,

-Switching to 120hz from 240hz dropped GPU Clock to 300mhz instead of 600 but my GPU is still very hot backplate 60C+ and gpu core 39C after long idle

Hello, just as title says my RX 580 Gigabye Aorus Rev 1.1 overheats like crazy non stop, the backplate i can barely touch it in idle, while in full load i burn myself probably 90-100C +

The only thing i noticed weird is that the VRAM memory in idle does not downclock, while gpu clock goes down, this means that the memory must be the culprit that overheats the backplate like that, since even when gaming the gpu core doesnt go over 65 ever@ 100% but the backplate is burning 100C+.

Is this a driver issue or what? i flashed the latest Gigabyte BIOS but that didnt help.

Is this how RX cards are designed? or is mine broken? or a driver issue? should i send it back to warranty? what can i do to make the memory downclock?

Message was edited by: yian john

1 Reply

Activate AMD Wattman and see what type of temperature you are getting at idle with the RX 580. Make sure to uninstall any 3rd party software like MSI Afterburner after resetting it to "Default".

You can configure your RX 580 using Wattman and also to configure the GPU Fan to cool more efficiently.

Do you have proper Air circulation inside your Computer Case?

Need to give your computer specs. It will be useful for other Users to help you: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Providing the information below will get you a faster response from the community.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Make and model; e.g. AMD R9 290X
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • If a laptop, make and model of the Laptop
  • Operating System
    • E.g. Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • E.g. Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12
  • Display Devices
    • Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate; e.g. Samsung UE32850R 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
    • One line for each display device connected
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Make and model; e.g. Asus P8P67 Deluxe Bios Version 6643
  • CPU / APU
    • Make and model number; e.g. FX 9590
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • E.g. Thermaltake TR2 700W Gold
  • RAM
    • Amount of memory installed; e.g. 16GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue.
  • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)
  • Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)
  • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue
0 Likes