3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2018 9:10 AM by darkwolfca

Luna

jamesc359

Luna is a budget computer that I've been fixing up. The project started when I found the motherboard, CPU, RAM and case at a local second hand store. I added a 1TB hard drive, an inexpensive power supply and a cheap video card. Currently Luna is running Linux Mint 19 Tara. I mostly use it to watch Youtube/Twitch on and browse the web. Since the video card I have installed is woefully under powered gaming is effectively out of the question.

Someday I'd like to get a better case, since this one is dated, has poor airflow and no cable management. It's also missing the hard drive cage and has a few other missing/broken components. I'd also like to get an SSD for the operating system and a better video card.

img_0155.jpgThe twisty ties on the fan is an eyesore, but it works. Cable management isn't an option here.

Specifications
      CPUAMD FX-6300
      CoolerOEM
      MotherboardGigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0
      Memory2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600
      GraphicsASUS HD7850 2GB GDDR5
      Disc DriveSeagate 1TB
      PSUEVGA 450 BT 80+ Bronze
      CaseGeneric Gateway
      Monitor22" 1080P Acer

Benchmarks
      UnigineHeaven.pngUnigineSuperposition.png
      DiRTRally.pngGRIDAutosport.png
      TalosPrinciple.pngShadowOfMordor.png
        • Re: Luna
          buggzluva

What a find enjoy Sir, would be cool to see how it does in some modern titles if possible.

jamesc359

Unfortunately there's not a lot of modern benchmarks available on Linux. The ones that I could find are now posted above. Most games that I've installed are perfectly playable if a few sacrifices in resolution and or quality are made. It's not readily apparent here, but OpenGL isn't the best of performers and I'd expect most of these games to do significantly better with Windows and DirectX.

One game that I really wanted to benchmark, but couldn't was Alien: Isolation. For whatever reason Farel Interactive didn't include the benchmark in the Linux build. So this is purely based on my observations; The vast majority of the time Alien: Isolation runs at what seems like a capped 60fps with the occasional dips into the mid 50s and rare dips into the low to mid 40s with the high settings. I'm sure I could get a higher FPS with lower settings, but even with the dips the game feels very smooth and playable so I see little need to lower them.

Cheers. :-)

darkwolfca

great second hand find nice solid build